Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do I need travel insurance?
- When should I purchase my Budget Direct Travel Insurance?
- Who can purchase a policy?
- Can I purchase one way travel insurance?
- How do I purchase Budget Direct Travel Insurance?
- How can I pay for Budget Direct Travel Insurance?
- When do I receive my travel insurance policy documents?
- If I change my mind and cancel the policy, do I get a refund?
- Are my children and/or grandchildren covered under my Budget Direct Travel Insurance policy?
- What is a travel insurance excess, and when do I need to pay it?
- Can I reduce my excess?
- What happens if my trip return date changes and I need to extend my policy?
- Are Pre-existing Medical Conditions covered?
- Do you cover pregnancy?
- Am I covered if I develop a condition after purchasing travel insurance but before I leave on my trip?
- Am I covered for medical expenses on my domestic cover for travel around Australia?
- What happens if I have a medical emergency overseas?
- What activities do you cover with your winter sports travel insurance?
- Am I covered for Motorcycling when I go travelling?
- Is cover provided for high-value items such as personal computers, video recorders and cameras?
- When can I claim my rental vehicle excess?
Travel insurance helps protect you against the unexpected expenses while you are travelling, from things like theft of your personal effects, accidents and medical problems.
To find out more about why you should take out travel insurance and the benefits of purchasing cover visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Smartraveller website; smartraveller.gov.au
You’re covered for your journey being cancelled and losing your deposits the moment you buy your policy, regardless of when you’re travelling. So we recommend you buy your travel insurance as soon as you’ve paid for your trip.
Note: Does not apply to Budget Direct Last Minute Cover.
Budget Direct Travel Insurance is available to permanent residents of Australia, up to 100 years of age, and must be purchased before departing for your trip.
Non-permanent residents can purchase a Budget Direct travel insurance policy providing that you have a valid Medicare Card, a Private Health Fund or Overseas Student Travel Insurance.
Yes you can purchase Budget Direct Travel Insurance for a one-way trip. The travel must originate in Australia. Please note the following restrictions apply:
- 0-65 years of age, 1 day - 1 year Maximum
- 66-100 years, 90 days Maximum
For your one-way trip, Travel Insurance ceases 24 hours after you reach your final destination on your itinerary.
You can get a quote and buy Budget Direct Travel Insurance online or call our Contact Centre on 1800 444 424.
You can now choose from a range of payment options. We now accept payment via Credit Card (VISA or MasterCard) or PayPal.
We’ll email you the Product Disclosure Statement and your Insurance Certificate to you as soon as your payment is approved.
We will email your policy documents to the email address you provide us as soon as your purchase is completed. You can check the details straight away to make sure they are correct. If you notice something is incorrect, call our Contact Centre on 1800 444 424.
Budget Direct Travel Insurance provides a 14-day cooling off period that commences from the day of purchase. During this time if you decide to cancel your travel insurance, you can receive a full refund provided that you have not started your journey and are not making any claims or exercising any other right under the policy.
Yes, children are covered for free as long as they are:
- dependent on you
- younger than 18
- travelling with you
- named on your insurance certificate.
An excess is the amount you need to contribute towards a claim.
See the Product Disclosure Statement to see the excess payable for each section of cover under Budget Direct Comprehensive, Essential, Last Minute, Domestic and Annual Multi-Trip Cover. For more information, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement.
With Budget Direct Travel Insurance you can choose the standard excess of $200 or you can pay a higher premium and waive your excess or halve your excess.
Excess Waiver removes all excesses (except for increased medical excesses because of medical conditions or sports or leisure activities).
Halving Your Excess decreases the excess that will apply to each person claiming, to each incident and to each section of the policy you claim under (except for increased medical excesses because of medical conditions or sports or leisure activities).
To extend your trip email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 1800 444 424 Monday – Friday between 9am and 5pm AEST as soon as you know you need to extend your trip and within two days of your policy expiring. Additional premium may be charged. Your policy can only be extended once, and only up to a maximum combined duration of 12 months.
Budget Direct Annual Multi-Trip covers you up to 30 days for each trip you take in a 12 month period. If your trip is for longer than 30 days then you will need to purchase an additional travel insurance policy.
We automatically cover the Pre-existing Medical Conditions listed below provided you have not been hospitalised (including day surgery or attended the emergency department) for that condition in the past 24 months. If your Pre-Existing Medical Condition is not on this list then you will not be covered for any claims relating to this condition.
Please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for more details.
- Asthma - providing that you:
- have no other lung disease and
- are less than 60 years of age at the date of Policy purchase.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Coeliac Disease
- Congenital Blindness
- Congenital Deafness
- Diabetes Mellitus (Type I) - providing You:
- were diagnosed over 12 months ago, and
- have no eye, kidney, nerve or vascular complications, and
- do not suffer from a known cardiovascular disease, Hypertension or Hypercholesterolaemia, and
- are under 50 years of age at the date of Policy issue.
- Diabetes Mellitus (Type II) - providing You:
- were diagnosed over 12 months ago, and
- have no eye, kidney, nerve or vascular complications, and
- do not suffer from a known cardiovascular disease, Hypertension or Hypercholesterolaemia.
- Dry Eye Syndrome
- Ear Grommets
- Epilepsy - providing you have not had any seizures or change to your medication in the last 24 months
- Food Intolerance
- Gastric Reflux
- Hay Fever
- Hiatus Hernia
- Hypercholesterolaemia (High Cholesterol) - provided You do not also suffer from a known cardiovascular disease and/or Diabetes
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) - provided You do not also suffer from a known
cardiovascular disease and/or Diabetes
- Hypothyroidism, including Hashimoto's Disease
- Macular Degeneration
- Meniere's Disease
We provide cover if you are pregnant and something unexpected happens, specifically injuries to the body, an illness that was not expected or complications of pregnancy and childbirth. We do not consider pregnancy or childbirth to be an illness or injury. Read the Product Disclosure Statement for further details.
Am I covered if I develop a condition after purchasing travel insurance but before I leave on my trip?
Provided you were not aware of any symptoms of the condition or seeking treatment for the diagnosed condition prior to purchasing Budget Direct Travel Insurance, then there is cover for cancellation costs incurred if you have to cancel the trip. Once you depart on your journey, there is no cover for the Pre-Existing Medical Condition.
Budget Direct Domestic Cover does not cover medical costs incurred within Australia because this is not permitted by law and you are already entitled to treatment under Medicare and/or your private health insurance.
If you have a medical emergency overseas, contact us immediately. When you buy your policy, you’ll be emailed your Insurance Certificate which details the emergency assistance numbers. You can call free of charge at any time, from anywhere in the world.
If you require hospitalisation, emergency transportation services or need to return to Australia, you must contact us as soon as possible.
If you incur medical costs on your journey, keep copies of all receipts and details of any treatment received.
For more information refer to Product Disclosure Statement.
You can purchase the Snow Sports upgrade if you require coverage for the following snow sports. Check the Product Disclosure Statement for excluded activities.
- Big Foot Skiing
- Cat Skiing
- Cross- country Skiing
- Glacier Skiing
- Ice Hockey
- Ice Skating
- Mono Skiing
- Off- piste skiing
- Off-piste snowboarding
- Recreational ski or snowboard racing
To be covered for claims on a two and three wheeled motor vehicle you must comply with the following conditions:
- As the driver or passenger you must wear a helmet (this is irrespective of the law of the country you are in)
- As the Driver:
- You must hold a driving licence appropriate for the country you are in and
- If using a motor cycle rated 125 cc or higher, you must hold a current and valid licence required for driving the equivalent rated motorcycle in Australia.
We provide cover for personal computers, video recorders, mobile phones and cameras (except under Budget Direct Last Minute Cover). See the table of benefits in the Product Disclosure Statement for limits applicable for your level of cover.
If you are liable to pay a rental vehicle excess as a result of damage to, or theft of a rental vehicle, we will pay up to the amount shown on the table of benefits for your level of cover as shown in the Product Disclosure Statement. Exclusions apply. See the Product Disclosure Statement for more information.
How do I make a claim under my travel insurance policy?
To make a claim, simply download a claim form. If you have any questions, contact us on +61 7 3360 7735, or email email@example.com.
You need to submit your claim to us within 30 days of returning to Australia.
You can post your claim form, along with any supporting documentation to:
Budget Direct Travel Insurance
Locked Bag 3038