Buy Travel Insurance for your chance to WIN $5,000

Upgrade your holiday on us! Simply purchase a Travel Insurance policy today and you’ll go into the draw to WIN $5,000, cash!*

Terms and Conditions apply.

What’s covered?

Overseas medical and hospital expenses

Unlimited amount for emergency medical and hospital treatment if you get sick or injured on your international trip (excluding pregnancy and childbirth).

Cancellation and amendment fees

Cover for pre-paid travel, accommodation, meals, tours and activities, and visas if your trip is cancelled due to an insured event (e.g. an unforeseen injury or illness).

Additional expenses

Extra accommodation, meals and travel expenses if your trip is disrupted or you have to return home early due to an insured event, up to $40,000.

Luggage and personal effects

Cost of repairing or replacing your jewellery, watch, camera, etc., if they get lost, stolen or damaged during your trip, up to $7,500 (sub-limits apply).

Cutting your trip short

Cost of pre-paid travel, accommodation, meals, tours and activities if you have to return home early due to an insured event (e.g. a close relative in Australia dies or is hospitalised unexpectedly).

Personal liability

Your legal liability for accidentally injuring someone else or damaging or losing someone else’s property during your trip, up to $5 million.

Resumption of journey

Cost of an airfare to return you to the international airport closest to where your original trip was cut short, up to $3,000.

Rental vehicle insurance excess

Any hire-car insurance excess you become liable to pay as a result of the car being damaged or stolen, up to $6,000.

Travel documents, credit cards and traveller’s cheques

Cost of replacing your passport, visas, travel money cards, traveller’s cheques, and credit cards if they’re lost, stolen or damaged, up to $5,000.

Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply.

For full details, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

Upgrade your cover

For an additional premium, you can customise your Comprehensive travel insurance policy by adding one or more of the following optional extras to your policy:

Snow Sports Cover

Insures you against loss or injury while skiing, snowboarding, ice-skating and more, including the cost of snow sports equipment, lift passes and ski packs.
Read more

Additional Specified Items Cover

Increase the level of cover for your valuables – including cameras, smartphones, and jewellery – by specifying them in your policy.
Read more

Excess reduction or waiver

Halve your excess from the standard $200 to $100; or choose to have no excess.

How do I add these optional extras to my policy?

You can add one or more of these optional extras when you get a quote and buy a policy.

If you’ve already purchased a policy, you can add Snow Sports and/or Additional Specified Items cover only. To do this, call us on 1800 444 424 or log into your online account and edit your policy – before you depart on your trip and within 14 days of the purchase date.

Overseas medical and emergency assistance

With Budget Direct travel insurance, you get access to a worldwide, 24/7 network of medical and emergency assistance providers.

These include multilingual medical and travel specialists, including about 500 doctors in 34 countries.

Read more about overseas medical and emergency assistance

Get a quote

Whether you want cover for just the basics or a policy with lots of bells and whistles, we’ve got a big selection of travel insurance for you to pick from.

Get a travel insurance quote online in 30 seconds or call us on 1800 444 424.

Find out more

The information on this page is a summary only. For more details about Budget Direct travel insurance, including the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

How to make a claim

If your trip didn’t go entirely to plan and you have to make a claim, we’re here to help. Make a claim on your travel insurance policy.

Award-winning comprehensive travel insurance

After comparing all the policies in their database, Australia's largest comparison site, Finder, awarded us their Best Travel Insurance — Comprehensive title in 2018 and 2019.

finder Awards 2019 Winner, Best Travel Insurance (Comprehensive)

"Budget Direct's Comprehensive policy is Finder's pick for the second year running. It offers unlimited cover for important benefits including overseas medical expenses, cancellation and emergency companion cover."

— Finder Awards, 2019

Frequently asked questions

Who can get Budget Direct travel insurance?

You can get Budget Direct travel insurance if you meet these two conditions:

  1. You have the required residency or citizenship status, which is to say that:
    1. you are a citizen or permanent resident of Australia, or
    2. you are a non-permanent resident with a valid Medicare card, private health insurance or overseas student travel insurance in Australia.
  2. You fall under the maximum age limit (see table below):
Maximum age Type of cover
75 years

Essential, Annual Multi-Trip, Last Minute

100 years

Comprehensive, Domestic

Note that you must purchase your travel insurance policy before you depart on your trip; and your trip must start in Australia.

How many people can be covered under one policy?

Up to 10 adults and 20 dependent children.

Do the benefit amount limits apply to each family member (or travelling party member) or to the family (or travelling party) as a whole?

The benefit amount limits are the most we’ll pay per insured person for each insured event their claim relates to.

For example, if a family of five has Comprehensive cover and all five of them have their luggage stolen, we’ll pay each of them up to $7,500 (minus their excesses of $200 each.)

If I make a claim, will I have to pay an excess?

It depends on the travel insurance benefit you’re claiming: the excess will be $200 or $0.

Roughly half the benefits attract an excess, half don’t.

For example, you’ll have to pay the first $200 of a ‘Cancellation and amendment fees’ claim, but no excess for a ‘Delayed luggage allowance’ claim.

Claims arising from a handful of covered sports and activities attract higher excesses, ranging from $250 to $500.

For an additional premium, you can reduce or remove your excess.

See all travel insurance excesses

Which sports and activities do you cover?

*The competition commences at 10:00am on 1 Oct 2019 and will remain open until 11.59pm on 30 Oct 2019. For full Ts&Cs please click here.

Get a quote and buy online to save 15%^