What’s covered by Home and Contents Insurance?
Cost of repairing or replacing your damaged or destroyed house, garden, garden shed, fences and other structures on your property.
Cost of repairing or replacing (new for old) your lost or damaged contents.
Temporary accommodation for your family and pets if your lost or damaged house and/or contents make your home unfit to live in.||
Your legal liability for someone else’s death or bodily injury or for loss or damage to someone else’s property caused by an accident at the insured address (home insurance) or anywhere in Australia (contents insurance).
Budget Direct Home and Contents Insurance covers your property against loss or damage caused by the following insured events:
- Impact at home (e.g. fallen tree)
- Breakage of glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures
- Malicious damage, vandalism, riot or civil commotion
- Earthquake or tsunami
Upgrade your cover
For an additional premium, you can customise your Home and Contents Insurance by adding one or more of the following optional covers to your policy:
How do I add an optional cover to my policy?
How much cover do I need?
It’s up to you to determine how much it would cost to replace your home and contents if they were totally destroyed, for example, by fire – the ‘sums insured’.
These are the maximum amounts we’ll pay, so it’s important you’re comfortable the sums insured you nominate are sufficient to replace your entire home and all of your contents at today’s prices.
Compare home insurance savings
In comparison to their previous insurers' premiums, customers across Australia who switched to Budget Direct Combined Home and Contents Insurance told us they saved an average of
Get a quote online and save 30%^
Get a quote online – it’s quick and easy. If you get a quote and buy a new policy online, you’ll receive a 15%^ discount (Home only or Contents only) or 30%^ discount (combined Home and Contents) on your first year’s premium.
Find out more
The information on this page is a summary only. For more details about Budget Direct Home and Contents Insurance, including the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
How to make a claim
Award-winning Australian home insurance
After comparing the cost and features of 127 policies offered by 52 insurers, Canstar presented us with the National award for Outstanding Value Home & Contents Insurance for the fifth year in a row in 2021.
We’ve also won Money magazine’s Insurer of the Year title five years running (2017–2021); and Best of the Best title for Home & Contents Insurance in 2022.
Frequently asked questions
What does home insurance cover?
‘Home insurance’ is an umbrella term that encompasses three variations of cover:
- Home and contents insurance covers your house and other structures on your property as well as your belongings for loss or damage due to events like fire, theft and storms.
- Home insurance covers your house and other structures on your property, including your garden shed, fences, and in-ground swimming pool.
- Contents insurance covers the belongings inside your home, including furniture, whitegoods, electrical appliances, clothing, and more.
Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply to Budget Direct home insurance; for full details, please read the product disclosure statement.
What does ‘contents’ insurance cover?
Among other things, a Budget Direct contents insurance policy covers loss or damage to:
- furniture and furnishings
- computers and electrical appliances
- clothing and shoes
- valuables like jewellery, sunglasses and cameras (if you want your portable items to be insured when you take them with you away from your home, you’ll need to get extra Personal Effects Cover).
- fitted carpets and rugs
- internal blinds, curtains and window coverings.
You can be covered for these things up to the amount of your contents sum insured.
Note that benefit limits apply to certain contents.
How can I get cheaper home insurance?
There are a number of ways you can reduce your Budget Direct home and/or contents insurance premium, including:
- Select the right level of cover: Our range of optional benefits means you don’t have to pay for cover you may not need, e.g. flood cover.
- Buy your policy online: If you get a quote and buy a policy online, you’ll receive a 15% (home or contents) or 30% (home and contents) discount on your premium.
- Increase your excess: Choose an excess between $100 and $5,000; by increasing your excess, you could lower your premium.
- Pay your premium annually: By paying annually instead of in instalments (i.e. fortnightly or monthly), you’ll pay a smaller premium and avoid administration fees.
Does home insurance cover floods?
Your home and/or contents can be covered for floods if you take out Budget Direct’s optional ‘Flood Cover’.
This cover protects you against loss or damage caused by flooding rivers, creeks, lakes, dams and other bodies of water.
You can apply to add Flood Cover to your home and/or contents insurance policy when you get a quote and buy insurance or – if you’ve already bought cover – by calling us on 1800 182 310 or logging into your online account and editing your policy.
If you meet our underwriting criteria, we’ll approve your application.
Note that your Flood Cover will take effect 72 hours after you add it to your policy, unless the policy:
- commenced immediately after another policy covering the same risks expired, without a break in cover
- commenced on the same day you bought your home or moved to a new address.
This is designed to stop people taking out cover immediately before anticipated floods and then claiming. This in turn helps keep your premiums down.
If I make a claim for loss or damage to my home and contents, will I have to pay two excesses?
No – you’ll be required to pay only the higher of the two Basic excesses you have selected.
*Based on customers who have made a claim on Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance, and who were surveyed between 10 February 2015 and 31 December 2021. Visit www.budgetdirectreviews.com.au for more details.
|| Benefit capped at 10% of sum insured when your home is unliveable due to an insured event. Terms and conditions apply.
§ The addition of Flood Cover to a policy is subject to our underwriting criteria.