Cost of repairing or replacing your damaged or destroyed home building.
Cost of repairing or replacing (new for old) your lost or damaged contents.
Temporary accommodation for your family and pets if your lost or damaged building and/or contents make your home unfit to live in.||
Your legal liability for someone else’s death or bodily injury or for loss or damage to someone else’s property caused by an accident at the insured address (building cover) or anywhere in Australia (contents cover).
Home and contents insurance covers damage and loss caused by the following events:
- Impact at home (e.g. fallen tree)
- Accidental breakage of glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures
- Malicious damage, vandalism, riot or civil commotion
Upgrade your cover
For an additional premium, you can customise your home and contents insurance by adding one or more of the following optional covers to your policy:
How much cover do I need?
It’s up to you to determine how much it would cost to replace your home building and home contents if they were totally destroyed, for example, by fire – the ‘sum insured’.
This is the maximum amount we’ll pay, so it’s important you’re comfortable the sum insured you nominate is sufficient to replace your entire home and all of your contents at today’s prices.
Compare home insurance savings
Compared to their previous insurers’ premiums, customers across Australia who switched to Budget Direct home insurance told us they saved an average of
Use our Comparitron™ tool to compare home insurance savings against other insurers.
Get a quote online and save 30%
Getting a Budget Direct home insurance quote is quick and easy.
Get a quote and buy a combined home and contents policy online and we’ll reduce your premium by 30%; or call us on 1800 288 149.
Find out more
The information on this page is a summary only. For more details about Budget Direct home and contents insurance, including the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please read the product disclosure statement (PDS).
How to make a claim
Award-winning Australian home insurance
After comparing the cost and features of over 130 policies offered by more than 50 insurers, Canstar selected us as a National award winner for Outstanding Value Home and Contents Insurance in 2018.
We've also won Money magazine's Best of the Best title for Home and Contents Insurance three years running (2017-19); and a Mozo Experts Choice Award 2018 Exceptional Value Home & Contents Insurance.
To cap it off, the Australian public voted us the Gold Winner in the Home & Contents Insurance category of the 2019 Reader's Digest Quality Service Awards survey.
Frequently asked questions
What’s covered under a ‘home building’ policy?
Among other things, a home building policy covers:
- your residential building, including garages
- other structures like your garden shed and fences
- domestic fixtures – items permanently attached to your home or buildings (e.g. built-in wardrobes, air conditioner, kitchen cupboards, dishwasher, fixed floor coverings (except carpets), awnings, in-ground swimming pool)
- permanent structural improvements (e.g. a home extension).
You are covered for these things up to the amount of your home building sum insured.
What’s covered under a ‘home contents’ policy?
Among other things, a home contents policy covers:
- furniture and furnishings
- computers and electrical appliances
- clothing and shoes
- personal effects like jewellery, sunglasses and cameras (if you want your portable items to be insured when you take them with you away from your home, you’ll need to get extra Personal Effects Cover).
- fitted carpets and rugs
- internal blinds, curtains and window coverings.
You are covered for these things up to the amount of your home contents sum insured.
If I make a claim for loss or damage to my home building and contents, will I have to pay two excesses?
No – you’ll be required to pay only the higher of the two Basic excesses you have selected.
Will my home repairs be guaranteed?
Yes – we guarantee the quality of authorised repairs, including the workmanship and materials.
Do I need to list, or specify, contents on my policy?
It’s up to you to decide whether to list the following on your policy:
- contents you want to insure for more than our benefit limit (where applicable)
- portable items you want covered when you take them with you away from your home.
Home Insurance Knowledge Base
Your questions about insurance all
answered in one place.
^Online discount applies to new policies only. Terms and conditions apply.
*Based on customers who have made a claim on Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance, and who were surveyed between 10 February 2015 and 31 May 2018. Visit www.budgetdirectreviews.com.au for more details.
||Benefit capped at 10% of sum insured. Terms and conditions apply.