Award-Winning Australian Car Insurance
Budget Direct's Car Insurance has won CANSTAR's award for Outstanding Value Car Insurance for a record-breaking 11 years in a row, from 2007 to 2017. In fact, we're the only Australian insurer in any category to have won a CANSTAR 5-Star Rating award every year since the awards began in 2007.
Smarter Insurance, Lower Premiums
By asking smarter questions about your insurance needs and driving history when you get a quote for car insurance, we’re able to identify better drivers, which means that when our premiums are calculated, we’re able to offer cheaper prices to good drivers like you.
To help our customers reduce the risk of their car being damaged we also offer innovative services like Hail Hero, which is free to all Budget Direct Car Insurance customers in Australia. Hail Hero is our award-winning early warning system that helps drivers to avoid approaching hailstorms through timely SMS text warnings. Since launching Hail Hero in 2012 we have sent more than 1.7 million text messages to customers across Australia warning them about hailstorms approaching their area.
If you are involved in an accident or your car is stolen, you’ll have the peace of mind of knowing our 24/7 Claims Helpline will be there to help you lodge a claim and get you back on the road as soon as possible.
What are the different types of Car Insurance?
To help you find the right insurance policy for you, Budget Direct offers different types of car insurance, levels of cover and a range of options and additional benefits that let you tailor your policy to give you the protection you need at a price you can afford.
- Comprehensive Car Insurance is our highest level of cover. It provides cover for your vehicle in case of an accident, vandalism, fire, or theft, as well covering accidental damage to other people’s property.
- Third Party Property Insurance covers you for accidental damage to other people’s property, like their car or home.
- Third Party, Fire and Theft Insurance is similar to Third Party Property Insurance, but it also covers your car if it is stolen or catches fire.
- Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance, known as “Green Slip Insurance” in NSW, covers compensation claims if a third party is injured or killed in an accident. It’s legally required, but that doesn’t mean you can’t shop around for a better deal.
You can find more details of our different types of Car Insurance below.
Our Comprehensive Car Insurance covers you for the cost of the repair or replacement of your vehicle following an accident – regardless of who’s at fault – malicious damage, fire, bad weather and theft. It also covers accidental damage caused by your vehicle to other people’s property (e.g. their car or home).
We’ll also cover the loss or damage to your personal effects, replacement keys, trailer and the cost of emergency transport and accommodation (limits apply).
Our Comprehensive Car Insurance also comes with a whole range of other popular features as standard, like New-for-Old replacement if your car is written off within the earlier of the first 2 years or 40,000 kms# and No Claim Discount protection if a third party is identified and at fault.
And the best part is that you’ll get a ##% discount off your premium if you get a quote for Car Insurance online.
Find out more about Budget Direct Comprehensive Car Insurance or
Get a Quote
Choose from Third Party Property insurance, which covers you for accidental damage caused to other people’s property, or Third Party, Fire and Theft, which adds cover if your car catches fire or is stolen, and includes a hire car after a theft.
Please note: Conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Please read the PDS for full details.
Find out more about Budget Direct Third Party Car Insurance or
Get a Quote
New South Wales’ Road Traffic Act allows car owners in the state to choose their own provider for Compulsory Third Party, or “Green Slip,” insurance. And just like all our other types of car insurance at Budget Direct, our aim is to help you save on your CTP premiums.
Find out more about Budget Direct Green Slip CTP Insurance or
Get a Quote
Flexible Options and Additional Benefits
Beyond the great range of standard benefits available with Budget Direct Car Insurance, we also offer a variety of optional policy benefits that you can choose to tailor your insurance cover.
These optional benefits include:
- Choice of Agreed Value or Market Value
- Windscreen Excess Reduction
- No Claim Discount Protection
- Discounts for Driver Age Restrictions
We also offer Roadside Assistance, either as an optional add-on to your car insurance policy, or as a standalone service. Find out more about Budget Direct Roadside Assistance here.
Please note: Some of these optional benefits apply only to comprehensive car insurance policies. Please read the PDS for full details of available cover and optional benefits, or view this comparison of Budget Direct car insurance policy benefits.
People Across Australia Saved by Switching to Budget Direct Car Insurance
Customers who switched to Budget Direct Car Insurance told us they saved an average of $###*** compared to their previous insurers. You can use our Comparitron™ tool to compare car insurance savings from across Australia.
See how much customer's told us they saved in your state:
How to Make a Claim
If you do ever need to make a claim on your Budget Direct Car insurance you can call our 24/7 Claims Helpline or lodge your claim online using our self-service Online Policy Manager.
Click here for contact details and more information about making a car insurance claim.
Buy Online and Save ##%^
Get a quote and buy our Car Insurance online to save ##%^
If you’d prefer to have someone talk you through the process, you can get a quote online and then buy through our customer service centre and you’ll still get the same ##% discount.
Get a Quote
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get cheaper car insurance?
There are several factors you can change when getting a car insurance quote which may help to reduce the cost of the premium you pay:
- Choose the right level of cover for your needs. Do you need comprehensive cover for your car, or would third party insurance give you the cover you need?
- Increase your excess to reduce your premium. Setting a higher excess means you'll pay more if you do end up making a claim, but will reduce the amount you pay for your regular premium.
- Set a driver age restriction. You may get a reduced premium by restricting your insurance to only cover drivers over the age of 21, 25, 30 or even 40 years old.
- Get a reduced mileage discount. If you don't drive very often or only use your car for short trips you may be able to get a lower premium.
- Maintain a good driving record and NCD Rating. Because Budget Direct doesn't insure high-risk drivers, like Captain Risky, we're able to offer lower premiums to safer drivers. And if you stay claims-free on your Comprehensive Car Insurance you can earn a No-Claims Discount towards even bigger savings.
What is car insurance excess?
An excess is the fixed amount you pay towards a claim you make on your car insurance policy.
For example, if you were deemed at fault for the damage and your excess was $600 and your damage bill $3000, you would pay $600 and we would pay $2400. If the damage was $600 or less, you would pay the entire bill.
If your vehicle was written off, the excess would be deducted from the final settlement amount paid to you.
What is a no-claims discount?
A no-claims discount (NCD) is a discount you receive on your Comprehensive Car Insurance premium for every year you go without making a claim. (It’s also known as a no-claims bonus.)
The more years you remain claim-free, the lower your premium. The discount is typically capped at a certain number of years or a percentage of your premium.
You can read more of our Car Insurance FAQs here.
* A 21-day money back guarantee if you change your mind and haven't made a claim.
** Conditions Apply. Excludes household members.
# The earlier of 2 years or 40,000 kilometres from original registration in your name. Conditions apply, please see PDS for full details.
°°Based on Budget Direct Car Insurance customers surveyed between February 10th 2015 and February 28th 2017. See www.budgetdirectreviews.com.au for details.