What’s covered by Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance?
Loss or damage to your motorcycle
Cost of repairing or replacing your motorbike due to collision or crash, vandalism, theft, attempted theft, fire, storm, hail, and flood.
New motorcycle replacement
If your brand new motorcycle is written off within two years of its original registration, we’ll replace it with a new one. If a replacement isn’t available in Australia, we’ll pay you the amount you originally paid for it.
Damage to other people’s property
Up to $20 million of legal liability cover for the accidental damage your motorcycle causes to other people’s property, including their vehicles.
Replacement and/or recoding of your motorcycle key, remote locking device or proximity key if it’s stolen and not recovered, up to $1,000.
Frequently asked questions
How much can I insure my motorcycle for?
With Budget Direct, you can insure your motorbike for its market value or, in some cases, for an agreed value.
Market value is the reasonable cost to replace your bike with one of the same make, model, age, and condition as at the time of the loss or damage.
Agreed value is the amount we agree to insure your bike for during each 12-month term of insurance.
The value for which your bike is covered is shown on your insurance certificate.
Does motorcycle insurance cover a hire car?
If you’re a Comprehensive or Third Party Property, Fire and Theft policyholder and your motorcycle is stolen and we accept your claim, we’ll reimburse you the reasonable daily cost to hire a compact hire car for up to 14 days, up to $1,000.
For an additional premium, Comprehensive policyholders can add an optional ‘Accident hire car’ benefit to their policy.
If we accept your claim, we’ll arrange for a compact hire car for you to use until:
- your bike is repaired,
- your claim is paid,
- up to 14 days have been used, or
You can add this benefit when you get a quote and buy a policy. If you’ve already bought one, you can add it by calling us on 1300 306 560.
Does my cover include a new-bike replacement?
Your motorcycle is eligible for a new-bike replacement if:
- you purchased the motorcycle new, or
- as a demonstrator model from a licensed motor vehicle dealer who was the first registered owner of the motorcycle with less than 5,000km at the time of purchase
- the motorcycle becomes a total loss within 2 years of the original registration.
A total loss of your motorcycle is when:
- it’s stolen and not recovered, or
- damaged to the extent that, having considered all available information and relevant laws, it’s reasonable for us to decide that it would be unsafe or uneconomical to repair.
If this is the case, we’ll replace your bike with a new one of the same make, model and specification. (If one is not available in Australia, we’ll pay you the amount you originally paid for the motorcycle.)
We’ll also pay the cost of the new bike’s first 12 months of registration and compulsory third-party insurance.
This benefit applies only to motorcycles that had no unrepaired accident or hail damage prior to us insuring it.
Can I choose my own repairer?
Comprehensive policyholders can add an optional ‘Choice of repairer’ benefit to their policy. An additional premium may apply.
If you’ve selected this option, when you lodge your claim, you can nominate your preferred repairer (which could turn out to be a repairer from our repair network).
If your preferred repairer isn’t a part of our network, we will:
- need you to provide us with a quote for the repairs from your preferred repairer (who must be appropriately licensed)
- consult with your preferred repairer to determine the most suitable method of repairs based on the damage to the motorcycle
- review the quote to ensure:
- it’s competitive, based on the reasonable cost of repairs
- the repairs will be completed to a satisfactory standard.
Note that if the repairer’s quote isn’t competitive or we decide the repairs would not be completed to a satisfactory standard, we may decide not to authorise repairs. If this is the case, you’ll be able to choose whether:
- the motorcycle is repaired by an alternate repairer chosen by us, or
- we pay you the reasonable cost to satisfactorily repair the motorcycle.
To help through this process, if your motorcycle is unsafe to drive, we can also help cover transport costs to get your motorcycle to your preferred repairer (up to 100km, any costs to travel further than this will need to be paid by you).
Do you guarantee repairs to my motorbike?
Yes — repairs authorised by us are guaranteed for as long as you own the motorcycle.
This guarantee covers materials and workmanship.