Cost of repairing or replacing your damaged or destroyed home building.
Temporary accommodation for your family and pets if your damaged home is unfit to live in.||
Debris removal and extra rebuilding costs
Removal of debris, demolition, professional (e.g. architect, surveyor, engineer) and building-application fees, and storage of undamaged contents.
Your legal liability for someone else’s death or bodily injury or for loss or damage to someone else’s property caused by an accident at the insured address.
- Accidental breakage of glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures
- Malicious damage, vandalism, riot or civil commotion
Upgrade your cover
For an additional premium, you can customise your home building insurance by adding one or more of the following optional covers to your policy:
How much cover do I need?
It’s up to you to determine how much it would cost to replace your home building if it was totally destroyed, for example, by fire – the ‘sum insured’.
This is the maximum amount we’ll pay, so it’s important you’re comfortable the sum insured you nominate is sufficient to replace your entire home at today’s prices.
Compare building insurance savings
Compared to their previous insurers’ premiums, customers across Australia who switched to Budget Direct building insurance told us they saved an average of
Use our Comparitron™ tool to view our customers’ self-reported savings.
Find out more
The information on this page is a summary only. For more details about Budget Direct home building insurance, including the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please read the product disclosure statement.
Repairing your home
Upon acceptance of your claim, we’ll appoint a team member to take care of the repairs or rebuilding of your home. We will:
- Assess the nature and extent of the damage or loss.
- Make your home safe (e.g. remove a fallen tree).
- Source all quotes from our preferred builders.
- Appoint a building contractor to repair or rebuild your home.
- Obtain – through the contractor – all the necessary building materials.
- Keep you informed of progress.
- Ensure the repairs comply with the latest building codes.
- Provide you with temporary accommodation, if necessary.
Award-winning Australian home insurance
After comparing the cost and features of nearly 150 policies offered by more than 50 insurance providers, Canstar awarded us one of three national awards for Outstanding Value Home and Contents Insurance in 2017.
We also won Money Magazine’s 2018 Best of the Best award for Cheapest Home and Contents Insurance; and Mozo’s 2017 People’s Choice (Outstanding Customer Satisfaction, and Excellent Customer Experience) and Experts Choice (Exceptional Value) awards for home insurance.
Need more cover?
It goes without saying that, if your home building is badly damaged or destroyed, some or all of your home contents may also be harmed or lost.
For complete peace of mind, you may want to consider getting combined home and contents insurance.
If you get a quote and buy a combined policy online, we’ll take 30% off your premium.
Frequently asked questions
What’s covered under a ‘home building’ policy?
Among other things, a home building policy covers:
- your residential building, including garages
- other structures like your garden shed and fences
- domestic fixtures – items permanently attached to your home or buildings (e.g. built-in wardrobes, air conditioner, kitchen cupboards, dishwasher, fixed floor coverings (except carpets), awnings, in-ground swimming pool)
- permanent structural improvements (e.g. a home extension).
You are covered for these things up to the amount of your home building sum insured.
What’s the most Budget Direct can insure my home for?
$1.5 million. (If the replacement value of your home building is greater, you’ll need to seek insurance elsewhere.)
Is my home covered for storms?
Yes – your home building and/or contents are covered for damage or loss due to violent winds, lightning, rain, hail and snow.
This cover includes the escape of rainwater from any water pipe, drain or gutter; and surface run-off of rainwater from surrounding areas that occurs within 24 hours of the storm.
(To insure your home against floods, you’ll need to take out optional Flood Cover.)
Will my home repairs be guaranteed?
Yes – we guarantee the quality of authorised repairs, including the workmanship and materials.
Do you offer strata-title insurance?
We don’t insure strata-title buildings, however we do cover their contents.
Home Insurance Knowledge Base
Your questions about insurance all
answered in one place.
^ The online discount applies to the premium paid for a new Budget Direct insurance policy initiated online on or after 29 March 2017. The discount varies by product: 30% for combined Smart Home & Contents insurance, 15% for Smart Home only or Smart Contents only policies. We reserve the right to change the offer without notice. The base-rate premiums are subject to change. The discount does not apply to any renewal offer of insurance.
* Based on customers who have made a claim on Budget Direct Home Building Insurance, and who were surveyed between 10 February 2015 and 31 May 2018. Visit www.budgetdirectreviews.com.au for more details.
|| Damage caused by an insured event. The benefit is capped at 10% of your sum insured. For more details, please read the product disclosure statement.