What’s covered by Home Insurance?
Cost of repairing or replacing your damaged or destroyed house, garden shed, fences and other structures on your property.
Temporary accommodation for your family and pets if your damaged house is unfit to live in.||
Debris removal and extra rebuilding costs
Removal of debris, demolition, professional (e.g. architect, surveyor, engineer) and building-application fees, and storage of undamaged contents.
Your legal liability for someone else’s death or bodily injury or for loss or damage to someone else’s property caused by an accident at the insured address.
Budget Direct Home Insurance covers your house and domestic outbuildings against loss or damage caused by the following insured events:
- Impact at home (e.g. fallen tree)
- Breakage of glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures
- Malicious damage, vandalism, riot or civil commotion
- Earthquake or tsunami
Upgrade your cover
For an additional premium, you can customise your Home Insurance by adding one or more of the following optional covers to your policy:
How do I add an optional cover to my policy?
How much cover do I need?
It’s up to you to determine how much it would cost to replace your home if it was totally destroyed, for example, by fire – the ‘sum insured’.
This is the maximum amount we’ll pay, so it’s important you’re comfortable the sum insured you nominate is sufficient to replace your entire home at today’s prices.
Compare home insurance savings
Get a quote online and save 15%^
Getting a Budget Direct Home Insurance quote is quick and easy.
If you get a quote and buy a new policy online, we’ll give you a 15%^ discount on your first year’s premium.
Find out more
The information on this page is a summary only. For more details about Budget Direct Home Insurance, including the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.
Repairing your home
Upon acceptance of your claim, we’ll appoint a team member to take care of the repairs or rebuilding of your home. We will:
- Assess the nature and extent of the damage or loss.
- Make your home safe (e.g. remove a fallen tree).
- Source all quotes from our preferred builders.
- Appoint a building contractor to repair or rebuild your home.
- Obtain – through the contractor – all the necessary building materials.
- Keep you informed of progress.
- Ensure the repairs comply with the latest building codes.
- Provide you with temporary accommodation, if necessary.
Award-winning Australian home insurance
After comparing the cost and features of 129 policies offered by 52 insurers, Canstar presented us with the National award for Outstanding Value Home & Contents Insurance for the fourth year in a row in 2020.
We've also won numerous state level Canstar Awards across Home & Contents Insurance in 2020 and Mozo’s Experts Choice award for Exceptional Value Home & Contents Insurance (2019 and 2020).
Need more cover?
It goes without saying that, if your home is badly damaged or destroyed, some or all of your contents may also be harmed or lost.
For peace of mind, you may want to consider getting combined Home and Contents Insurance.
Get 30% off your first year’s premium when you get a quote and buy a new combined policy online.
Frequently asked questions
What does home insurance cover?
‘Home insurance’ is an umbrella term that encompasses three variations of cover:
- Home and contents insurance covers your house and other structures on your property as well as your belongings for loss or damage due to events like fire, theft and storms.
- Home insurance covers your house and other structures on your property, including your garden shed, fences, and in-ground swimming pool.
- Contents insurance covers the belongings inside your home, including furniture, whitegoods, electrical appliances, clothing, and more.
Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply to Budget Direct home insurance; for full details, please read the product disclosure statement.
How can I get cheaper home insurance?
There are a number of ways you can reduce your Budget Direct home and/or contents insurance premium, including:
- Select the right level of cover: Our range of optional benefits means you don’t have to pay for cover you may not need, e.g. flood cover.
- Buy your policy online: If you get a quote and buy a policy online, you’ll receive a 15% (home or contents) or 30% (home and contents) discount on your premium.
- Increase your excess: Choose an excess between $100 and $5,000; by increasing your excess, you could lower your premium.
- Pay your premium annually: By paying annually instead of in instalments (i.e. fortnightly or monthly), you’ll pay a smaller premium and avoid administration fees.
Does home insurance cover garages?
Yes – Budget Direct home insurance covers loss or damage to your garage or carport due to an insured event.
These events include impact at the home, for example due to a tree falling on your garage during a storm.
How much home insurance do I need?
It’s up to you to determine how much it would cost to replace your home and contents – the ‘sums insured’ – if they were totally destroyed, for example, by fire.
It’s the maximum amount we’ll pay, so it’s important you’re comfortable the amount you nominate is sufficient to replace your entire home and all of your contents at today’s prices.
For a more accurate rebuilding cost estimate, we recommend you consult a professional valuer or building contractor.
Will my home repairs be guaranteed?
Yes – we guarantee the quality of authorised repairs, including the workmanship and materials.
Home Insurance Knowledge Base
Your questions about insurance all
answered in one place.
*Based on customers who have made a claim on Budget Direct Home Insurance, and who were surveyed between 10 February 2015 and 30 June 2021. Visit www.budgetdirectreviews.com.au for more details.
|| Benefit capped at 10% of sum insured when your home is unliveable due to an insured event. Terms and conditions apply.
§ The addition of Flood Cover to a policy is subject to our underwriting criteria.