Customers rate our Home Insurance claims service

4.0 out of 5 Stars
4.0 out of 5 Stars

4.0 | 256 Reviews*

What’s covered?

Home building

Cost of repairing or replacing your damaged or destroyed house, garden, garden shed, fences and other structures on your property.

Temporary accommodation

Temporary accommodation for your family and pets if your damaged house is unfit to live in.||

Debris removal and extra rebuilding costs

Removal of debris, demolition, professional (e.g. architect, surveyor, engineer) and building-application fees, and storage of undamaged contents.

Your legal liability for someone else’s death or bodily injury or for loss or damage to someone else’s property caused by an accident at the insured address.

Mortgage discharge

Legal and administrative costs to discharge your mortgage, if your home is destroyed.

Loss of rent

Loss of net rental income for the period your damaged investment property is unliveable.

Home modifications

Modifications to your home if you suffer permanent paraplegia or quadriplegia as a result of an insured event at the insured address.

Landlord’s fixtures and fittings

Loss or damage to your rental property’s fixed floor coverings (except fitted carpets) and external window coverings (e.g. awnings). 

Funeral expenses

Funeral expenses if you die as a result of an insured event at your home.

Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply.

For full details, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

Insured events

Budget Direct Home Insurance covers your house and domestic outbuildings against loss or damage caused by the following insured events:

  • Storm and rainwater (flood cover is optional)
  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Theft (or attempted theft)
  • Escape of liquid (e.g. burst pipe)
  • Impact at home (e.g. fallen tree)
  • Breakage of glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures
  • Malicious damage, vandalism, riot or civil commotion
  • Explosion
  • Earthquake or tsunami

Upgrade your cover

For an additional premium, you can customise your Home Insurance by adding one or more of the following optional covers to your policy:

Flood Cover

Covers your home for loss or damage caused by flooding rivers, creeks and other bodies of water.§

Motor Burnout

In case a power surge burns out a motor in an electrical appliance you own (less than 10 years old); we’ll also pay for related spoilage of food.

Accidental Damage

Standard cover includes accidental damage to glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures; Accidental Damage extends this cover (some exclusions apply – please read the PDS).

Sum Insured Safeguard

If your nominated sum insured is insufficient to repair, rebuild or replace your home, we’ll increase it by up to 25% (e.g. from $400,000 to $500,000).

Landlord Cover

Protection if your tenant defaults on their rental payments and/or steals from or maliciously damages your investment property.

How do I add an optional cover to my policy?

You can add one or more of these optional covers when you get a quote and buy a policy or – if you’ve already bought a policy – by contacting us or logging into your online account and editing your policy.

Landlord insurance

Budget Direct Home Insurance is not only for homeowners, but landlords too.
Read more

How much cover do I need?

It’s up to you to determine how much it would cost to replace your home if it was totally destroyed, for example, by fire – the ‘sum insured’.

This is the maximum amount we’ll pay, so it’s important you’re comfortable the sum insured you nominate is sufficient to replace your entire home at today’s prices.

Use these calculators to estimate the cost of replacing your home

Compare home insurance savings

Get a quote online and save 15%^

Getting a Budget Direct Home Insurance quote is quick and easy.

If you get a quote and buy a policy online, we’ll give you a 15% discount on your premium.

Find out more

The information on this page is a summary only. For more details about Budget Direct Home Insurance, including the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

How to make a claim

If your home is damaged or destroyed by an insured event and you need to make a claim, we’re here to help. Make a claim on your Home Insurance policy.

Repairing your home

Upon acceptance of your claim, we’ll appoint a team member to take care of the repairs or rebuilding of your home. We will:

  • Assess the nature and extent of the damage or loss.
  • Make your home safe (e.g. remove a fallen tree).
  • Source all quotes from our preferred builders.
  • Appoint a building contractor to repair or rebuild your home.
  • Obtain – through the contractor – all the necessary building materials.
  • Keep you informed of progress.
  • Ensure the repairs comply with the latest building codes.
  • Provide you with temporary accommodation, if necessary.

Award-winning Australian home insurance

After comparing the cost and features of over 130 policies offered by more than 50 insurers, Canstar selected us as a National award winner for Outstanding Value Home and Contents Insurance in 2018.

We've also won Money magazine's Best of the Best title for Home and Contents Insurance three years running (2017-19); and a Mozo Experts Choice Award 2018 Exceptional Value Home & Contents Insurance.

To cap it off, the Australian public voted us the Gold Winner in the Home & Contents Insurance category of the 2019 Reader's Digest Quality Service Awards survey.

CANSTAR's Outstanding Value Home & Contents Insurance Australia 2018
Money Magazine's Insurer of the Year 2019
Money Magazine's Cheapest Home & Contents Insurance 2019
MOZO's Experts Choice 2018 - Exceptional Value Home and Contents Insurance
Reader's Digest - Quality Service Award 2019 - Winner

Need more cover?

It goes without saying that, if your home is badly damaged or destroyed, some or all of your contents may also be harmed or lost.

For peace of mind, you may want to consider getting combined Home and Contents Insurance.

Get 30% off your premium when you get a quote and buy a combined policy online.

Frequently asked questions

What’s covered under a ‘home’ policy?

Among other things, a home policy covers:

  • your residential building, including garages
  • other structures like your garden shed and fences
  • domestic fixtures – items permanently attached to your house or outbuildings (e.g. built-in wardrobes, air conditioner, kitchen cupboards, dishwasher, fixed floor coverings (except carpets), awnings, in-ground swimming pool)
  • permanent structural improvements (e.g. a home extension).

You are covered for these things up to the amount of your home building sum insured.

What’s the most Budget Direct can insure my home for?

$1.5 million. (If the replacement value of your home building is greater, you’ll need to seek insurance elsewhere.)

Is my home covered for storms?

Yes – your home building and/or contents are covered for damage or loss due to violent winds, lightning, rain, hail and snow.

This cover includes the escape of rainwater from any water pipe, drain or gutter; and surface run-off of rainwater from surrounding areas that occurs within 24 hours of the storm.

(To insure your home against floods, you’ll need to take out optional Flood Cover.)

Will my home repairs be guaranteed?

Yes – we guarantee the quality of authorised repairs, including the workmanship and materials.

Do you offer strata-title insurance?

We don’t insure strata-title buildings, however we do cover their contents.

^ The online discount applies to the premium paid for a new Budget Direct insurance policy initiated online on or after 29 March 2017. The discount varies by product: 30% for combined Smart Home and Contents insurance, 15% for Smart Home only or Smart Contents only policies. We reserve the right to change the offer without notice. The base-rate premiums are subject to change. The discount does not apply to any renewal offer of insurance.
*Based on customers who have made a claim on Budget Direct Home Insurance, and who were surveyed between 10 February 2015 and 31 May 2019. Visit for more details.
|| Damage caused by an insured event.  The benefit is capped at 10% of your sum insured. For more details, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.
§ The addition of Flood Cover to a policy is subject to our underwriting criteria.
† {comparitron-disclaimer}

Get a home building insurance quote online