Can I transfer my no-claim bonus from my current insurer to Budget Direct?
Yes – provided you supply us with proof of your current no-claim bonus (or no-claim discount, as we refer to it).
For example, you may have a renewal notice from your current insurer that shows your discount.
Please scan and email your renewal notice or other proof to CSD@BudgetDirect.com.au
We’ll factor in the discount when we calculate your premium.
Which drivers must be listed on my policy?
You must list any household members (including learner, provisional and occasional drivers) who may drive the car. Unlisted household members won’t be covered.
Any non-household members who drive the car are automatically covered. If you list them on your policy, you’ll avoid having to pay the unlisted driver excess (other excesses may apply).
I’ve had a car accident – what should I do?
If you’ve had an accident, and assuming you’re physically able to, you should:
- Make sure you and anyone else involved is safely off the road.
- Call 000 if there are injuries or hazards.
- Get the details of the other drivers – name, address, contact number, driver’s licence number, and registration number – and give them yours (it’s a legal requirement; if anyone refuses, call the police).
- Try to get the names, addresses, and contact numbers of any witnesses.
- If possible, take photographs at the accident scene.
- If your vehicle is undriveable, call us on 1300 139 591 to organise a tow or, if you prefer, book your own.
- Make a claim
I’m selling my car – what do I need to do?
If you’re selling your vehicle and buying another one, you can quickly and easily transfer your Budget Direct car insurance to your new car. Simply follow these steps:
- Log into your online account.
- View your car policy.
- Click or tap the ‘Change’ button on your dashboard.
- Answer some questions about your new vehicle.
- Select the policy options you want to add.
- View the details of your updated policy, including the new premium.
- If you’re happy, pay the premium using your credit card.
If you don’t intend to replace the car, you can cancel your insurance policy by calling us on 1300 306 560.
Is my home covered for floods?
You can cover your home for floods by taking out optional Flood Cover, which insures your home building and contents for loss or damage caused by flooding rivers, creeks, lakes, dams and other bodies of water.
Subject to underwriting, you can add Flood Cover to your home building and/or home contents insurance when you get a quote and buy a policy or – if you’ve already bought one – by calling us on your online account or calling us on 1800 182 310 or logging into your online account and editing your policy.
Do I need to list, or specify, contents on my policy?
It’s up to you to decide whether to list the following on your policy:
- contents you want to insure for more than our benefit limit (where applicable)
- portable items you want covered when you take them with you away from your home.
Am I required to provide proof of loss or damage?
Allowing us to assess the damage or loss is usually all that’s required to prove it.
If an item has been lost or stolen and can’t be assessed, we may ask you to provide evidence of ownership and value.
This evidence could include:
- purchase receipts
- credit card statements
- serial numbers
- owner’s manuals
- guarantee or warranty certificates
- photos or videos of your item
- product packaging.
If evidence is required to support your claim, please email it to homeclaims@BudgetDirect.com.au
I’m selling my house – what do I need to do?
If you’re selling your house and buying another one, you can:
- keep your current home (and contents) insured until settlement day – which generally occurs 30–90 days after you and the buyer sign the contract of sale
- insure your new house when you and the seller sign the contract of sale but before settlement.
To insure your new house:
- Log into your online account.
- Click on the ‘Start a new insurance quote’ button.
- Follow the prompts.
When the sale of your current home reaches settlement and you want to cancel the insurance on it, please call us on 1800 182 310.
Do you offer strata title insurance?
We don’t insure strata title buildings, however we do cover their contents.
Which sports and activities do you cover?
Can I extend my travel insurance cover if I decide to stay overseas longer than originally planned?
Yes – you can extend your single-trip policy once, up to a maximum combined duration of 12 months.
Note that an Annual Multi-Trip policy covers you for an unlimited number of trips of up to 30 days each within a 12-month period.
If any one of the trips lasts longer than 30 days, you’ll have to purchase an additional travel insurance policy for that trip.
If I get sick or injured or lose my passport while overseas, will I be able to get help?
Yes – all our international travel insurance policyholders can access our worldwide, 24/7 overseas medical and emergency assistance service.
If you require hospitalisation or emergency transportation or need to cut short your trip and return to Australia, you (or someone else on your behalf) must contact us as soon as possible.
How much time do I have to make a travel insurance claim?
You must lodge your claim with us within 30 days of returning to Australia.
What proof do I need when making a claim?
The relevant travel insurance claim form will tell you exactly which documents are required to support your claim.
These supporting documents may include one or more of the following:
- incident reports (e.g. from airline, tour operator, police)
- invoices, receipts and/or expense accounts
- medical reports
- rental agreement
- flight, accommodation and/or tour details
- valuation certificate
If you send us original documents, please make sure you keep copies for your records.
When can I start using Budget Direct Roadside Assistance?
Does it matter who’s driving the car?
We’ll provide roadside assistance for your nominated vehicle, regardless of who’s driving it.
How quickly can I expect help to arrive?
It will depend on a number of factors, including your location and road conditions. Our goal is to get you back on the road as soon as possible.