What would you like to do?

Log in
Chat now
Send email
Call us
Make a complaint
Chat currently unavailable

Live chat

Chat with one of our friendly and helpful team members
Mon–Sun 6am–10.30pm AEST

Car Insurance
Car Insurance
Travel Insurance
Home Insurance
Home Insurance
Motorcycle Insurance
Roadside Assistance
Travel Insurance
Motorcycle Insurance
Roadside Assistance
Pet Insurance
Pet Insurance
Life Insurance
Life Insurance

Car Insurance

Get a quote: 1800 700 027

Existing customer enquiries: 1300 306 560 (+61 7 3465 1755 if you’re overseas)

Lodge a claim: 1300 139 591 (+61 7 3503 1744 if you’re overseas)

Home Insurance

Get a quote: 1800 700 027

Existing customer enquiries: 1800 182 310 (+61 7 3707 3512 if you’re overseas)

Lodge a claim: 1800 069 336 (+61 7 3811 3488 if you’re overseas)

Motorcycle Insurance

Get a quote: 1300 306 560

Existing customer enquiries: 1300 306 560

Lodge a claim 1300 306 560

Travel Insurance

Get a quote: 1800 444 424

Existing customer enquiries: 1800 444 424

Lodge a claim: 1800 444 424 (+61 7 3465 1718 if you're overseas)

24/7 overseas emergency contact numbers

Roadside Assistance

Request assistance: 1800 514 448

Pet Insurance

All enquiries: 1800 931 664

Life Insurance

Customers who bought before July 2018:
Lodge a claim: 1800 700 349
Existing customer enquiries: 1800 300 592

Customers who bought after January 2022:
Lodge a claim: 1300 220 627
Customer enquiries: 1300 220 627
Purchase stand-alone Trauma or Income Protection policies: 1300 220 627
Get a Quote: 1300 220 627

Make a complaint

If you’re unhappy with any aspect of our relationship with you, you can complain.

Regardless of the nature of your complaint, we’ll try to resolve it efficiently, transparently and fairly.

Frequently asked questions

Roadside Assistance
Can I transfer my no-claim bonus from my current insurer to Budget Direct?

Yes – provided you supply us with proof of your current no-claim bonus (or no-claim discount, as we refer to it).

For example, you may have a renewal notice from your current insurer that shows your discount.

Please scan and email your renewal notice or other proof to [email protected]

We’ll factor in the discount when we calculate your premium.

Which drivers must be listed on my policy?

You must list any household members (including learner, provisional and occasional drivers) who may drive the car. Unlisted household members won’t be covered.

Any non-household members who drive the car are automatically covered. If you list them on your policy, you’ll avoid having to pay the unlisted driver excess (other excesses may apply).

I’ve had a car accident – what should I do?

If you’ve had an accident, and assuming you’re physically able to, you should:

  1. Make sure you and anyone else involved is safely off the road.
  2. Call 000 if there are injuries or hazards.
  3. Get the details of the other drivers – name, address, contact number, driver’s licence number, and registration number – and give them yours (it’s a legal requirement; if anyone refuses, call the police).
  4. Try to get the names, addresses, and contact numbers of any witnesses.
  5. If possible, take photographs at the accident scene.
  6. If your vehicle is undriveable, call us on 1300 139 591 to organise a tow or, if you prefer, book your own.
  7. Make a claim
How do I book a time to have my vehicle’s damage assessed?

You can book a damage assessment when you lodge your claim, either via your online account or by calling us on 1300 139 591.

If you’re not sure what your schedule looks like at that point, you can book the assessment later.

I’m selling my car – what do I need to do?

If you’re selling your car and buying another one, you can quickly and easily transfer your Budget Direct car insurance to your replacement car.

Simply call us on 1300 306 560 and tell us the year, make and model of the replacement car.

We’ll then guide you through the process of shifting your insurance from your previous car to your new one.

If you don’t intend to replace your car, we can help you cancel your existing insurance policy.

Is my home covered for floods?

You can cover your home for floods by taking out optional Flood Cover, which insures your home building and contents for loss or damage caused by flooding rivers, creeks, lakes, dams and other bodies of water.

Subject to underwriting, you can add Flood Cover to your home building and/or home contents insurance when you get a quote and buy a policy or – if you’ve already bought one – by calling us on your online account or calling us on 1800 182 310 or logging into your online account and editing your policy.

Do I need to list, or specify, contents on my policy?

It’s up to you to decide whether to list the following on your policy:

  • contents you want to insure for more than our benefit limit (where applicable)
  • portable items you want covered when you take them with you away from your home.

You can list your contents when you get a quote and buy a policy or – if you’re an existing customer – by logging into your online account or call us on 1800 182 310.

Am I required to provide proof of loss or damage?

Allowing us to assess the damage or loss is usually all that’s required to prove it.

If an item has been lost or stolen and can’t be assessed, we may ask you to provide evidence of ownership and value.

This evidence could include:

  • purchase receipts
  • valuations
  • credit card statements
  • serial numbers
  • owner’s manuals
  • guarantee or warranty certificates
  • photos or videos of your item
  • product packaging.

If evidence is required to support your claim, please email it to [email protected]

I’m selling my house – what do I need to do?

If you’re selling your house and buying another one, you can:

  • keep your current home (and contents) insured until settlement day – which generally occurs 30­–90 days after you and the buyer sign the contract of sale 
  • insure your new house when you and the seller sign the contract of sale but before settlement.

To insure your new house:

  1. Log into your online account.
  2. Click on the ‘Start a new insurance quote’ button.
  3. Follow the prompts.

When the sale of your current home reaches settlement and you want to cancel the insurance on it, please call us on 1800 182 310.

Do you offer strata title insurance?

We don’t insure strata title buildings, however we do cover their contents.

Which sports and activities do you cover?
If I get sick or injured or lose my passport while overseas, will I be able to get help?

Yes – all our international travel insurance policyholders can access our worldwide, 24/7 overseas medical and emergency assistance service.

If you require hospitalisation or emergency transportation or need to cut short your trip and return to Australia, you (or someone else on your behalf) must contact us as soon as possible.

How much time do I have to make a travel insurance claim?

You must lodge your claim with us within 30 days of returning to Australia.

What proof do I need when making a claim?

The relevant travel insurance claim form will tell you exactly which documents are required to support your claim.

These supporting documents may include one or more of the following:

  • incident reports (e.g. from airline, tour operator, police)
  • invoices, receipts and/or expense accounts
  • medical reports
  • rental agreement
  • flight, accommodation and/or tour details
  • valuation certificate
  • photographs.

If you send us original documents, please make sure you keep copies for your records.

Which types of motorcycles does Budget Direct insure?

We insure a wide range of on-road and off-road motorcycles against accidental loss or damage, namely:

  • road bikes
  • scooters
  • cruisers
  • enduro motorbikes
  • sports bikes
  • dual-sport motorcycles.
Do you insure motorcycles used for business?

No — Budget Direct does not insure motorbikes used for business of any kind, including:

  • carrying passengers for payment
  • carrying or delivering other people’s goods for payment, whether as a contractor or otherwise (e.g. parcel or food delivery)
  • riding tuition for payment
  • hiring the motorcycle to other people.

We cover only motorbikes used privately, including for commuting to and from your home and regular place of work.

Does motorcycle insurance cover modifications?

Budget Direct covers all aftermarket modifications to your comprehensively insured motorcycle, except:

  • custom paintwork (excluding decals/stickers)
  • ECU (electronic control unit) remap or upgrade
  • frame or subframes
  • nitrous oxide kit
  • turbo or supercharged.

If your aftermarket modification is not listed and you’re unsure whether we’ll cover it, contact us and we’ll let you know.

When getting a quote and buying insurance, you’ll need to tell us about any modifications and accessories.

This will ensure you know what your policy does and does not cover.  

Which riders must be listed on my policy?

You must list any household members (including learner, provisional and occasional riders) who may ride the motorcycle. Unlisted household members will not be covered. 

Any non-household members who ride the bike are automatically covered. If you list them on your policy, you’ll avoid having to pay the unlisted rider excess (other excesses may apply). 

If I make an insurance claim, what will my excess be?

Unless you or another rider of your motorcycle have a no-fault accident, you’ll be required to pay:

  • your Basic Excess 

….as well as any additional excesses that apply, namely:

  • rider is under 24 years of age inclusive
  • rider has not held an open Australian motorcycle licence for 2 or more years
  • rider is not listed on your insurance certificate.

The dollar amounts of your Basic Excess and the additional excesses are shown on your insurance certificate.

How does pet insurance work?

Budget Direct Pet Insurance works like this:

  1. You buy a pet insurance policy and pay a monthly or yearly premium to maintain your pet’s cover.
  2. If your pet suffers a sickness or accidental injury, you take it to a veterinarian.
  3. The vet examines your pet, performs any necessary tests and treats the condition. 
  4. After treatment, you pay the vet’s invoice in full.
  5. Follow the claims process here.
  6. Upon acceptance of your claim, we’ll reimburse up to 80% of your eligible vet bill (benefit limits and an excess apply).
Are there age limits for pets you insure?

To be eligible for Budget Direct Pet Insurance your dog or cat must be aged over eight weeks old and under nine years old when you first take out this insurance.

If you continue to renew your policy each year, your pet can remain covered past nine years of age.

If I make a claim, will I have to pay an excess?

Yes — you will pay a $100 excess once for each unrelated condition during any one period of cover. For further treatments for a related condition during the same period of cover there is no excess.

For example, if your dog needs treatment for diabetes twice during the 12-month policy period, you’ll be required to pay the excess for the first claim for that condition, but not the second.

Similarly, if your dog develops a condition that’s related to one you’ve already made a claim for (e.g. diabetic retinopathy stemming from diabetes), you won’t have to pay another excess.

Each time you renew your annual policy, the excess will be reset (i.e. the next time you make a claim for a related illness or injury, you’ll be required to pay the excess).

How can I pay for my pet insurance?

You can pay for your Budget Direct Pet Insurance premium by direct debit from your bank account, credit card or debit card (Visa or Mastercard).

You can pay monthly or annually (the second option is the most economical).

Can I take my pet to any vet?

Yes — Budget Direct Pet Insurance customers can take their pet to any qualified and registered vet in Australia.

What does roadside assistance cover?

Budget Direct Roadside Assistance covers you if you’re left stranded – within our service area – for one or more of the following reasons:

  • dead battery
  • minor mechanical or electrical fault
  • flat tyre
  • keys locked in vehicle or lost
  • empty fuel tank.

If we can’t get you moving again quickly with an easy fix over the phone, we’ll dispatch either a roadside contractor or a tow truck to assist you (within our service limits).

Do I have to have car insurance to buy roadside assistance?

No – you can purchase a Budget Direct Roadside Assistance membership regardless of whether you have a car insurance policy with us (or anyone else).

Does roadside assistance cover the car or the driver?

Budget Direct Roadside Assistance covers the vehicle – we’ll provide assistance for your nominated vehicle, regardless of who’s driving it at the time it breaks down.

When can I start using my roadside assistance?

You can start using your Budget Direct Roadside Assistance for breakdowns that occur 48 hours or more after purchasing your membership.

If you require assistance before then – or help at any time with a pre-existing condition – a non-refundable service charge of $100 will apply, in addition to your annual membership fee.

How quickly can I expect roadside assistance?

It will depend on a number of factors, including your location and road conditions.

If possible, we’ll SMS you a link to a map showing the real-time location of your Budget Direct roadside contractor as they approach the breakdown area; and their estimated time of arrival (ETA).

This tracking service is available in selected areas only: If it’s not available in your area the contractor (or tow-truck operator) will instead call to let you know they’re on their way and, if necessary, update you on their ETA.

Our goal is to get you back on the road as soon as possible.