Budget Direct have recently won Money Magazines's Cheapest Home & Contents award for 2017. We're delighted with this win demonstrating that our customers receive the most competitive prices.
It is reassuring to know that if your home is damaged, to the point where it is unlivable, we will provide temporary accommodation for you and your pets for up to a year. Just another way Budget Direct customers get more.
More Reasons We're Simply Smarter
At Budget Direct we work tirelessly to improve the way we provide insurance to our customers. We've combined more than 30 years of innovation from our group around the world with 14 years of homegrown Australian excellence to offer you Simply Smarter Insurance. Here’s an extended list of our simply smarter innovations.
Get More with Budget Direct Home Insurance
Automatic sum-insured adjustment at renewal
Full 24/7 Claims Service - Your choice of phone or online.
A 21-day money back guarantee*
What are the different types of Home Insurance?
- Home & Contents Insurance covers your property and possessions for a range of events, including fire, theft, and storm damage.
- Home Building Insurance covers your house and related structures on your property, including garden sheds, fences, and in-ground pools.
- Contents Insurance covers the items inside your home, including furniture, electrical appliances, clothing, and more.
You can read more about our different types of home insurance below, or click here to read the PDS for full terms, conditions and limits.
Combine Home & Contents Insurance and Save ##%^
Get the peace of mind of having our most comprehensive home insurance cover by combining your home and contents insurance policies. Best of all, when you get a quote and buy Budget Direct Home and Contents Insurance online, you’ll save a massive ##%^ off your premium.
Our Home and Contents Insurance covers you for the cost to repair, rebuild or replace your home and contents if they are lost, damaged or destroyed by fire, theft and bad weather, among other events.
Sometimes referred to as “house insurance” or “building insurance” our Home Insurance actually provides cover for more than just your house itself. In fact, we provide cover for:
- Residential buildings, including garages and outdoor sitting areas
- Other structures like garden sheds and fences
- Items permanently attached to the home, including fixed floor coverings, awnings and in-ground swimming pools
- Permanent structural improvements (e.g. home extensions)
Find out more about what’s covered by Budget Direct Home Building Insurance policies.
Budget Direct Contents Insurance covers the items inside your home against loss or damage from a variety of insured events. Covered items include:
- Furniture, furnishings, carpets and rugs
- Electrical appliances
- Blinds, curtains and window coverings
- Clothing and shoes
- Personal effects like mobiles, cameras and jewellery inside the home
Find out more about what’s covered by Budget Direct Contents Insurance policies.
Our Home and Contents Insurance policies cover your property and personal effects against loss or damage caused by a number of possible events, including:
- Storm and rainwater damage
- Theft (or attempted theft), provided you report it to the police
- Malicious damage
- Escape of liquid (e.g. from batch or sinks)
- Impact at the home (e.g. a falling branch or tree)
- Accidental breakage (glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures)
Some of the policy benefits that come as standard with Budget Direct Home and Contents Insurance are:
- Legal liability cover up to $20 million
- Removal of debris and extra costs of rebuilding
- Credit card cover - up to $1,000
- Replacement of locks - up to $500
- Temporary accommodation for up to one year for you and your pets if you can’t live in your home following an insured event
- Unattached equipment cover up to $500
- Uninsured guests’ contents cover up to $500
Get a Quote
Get ##%^ off Home Insurance Online
Get ##%^ off Contents Insurance Online
Home & Contents
Get ##%^ off Home & Contents Insurance Online
For a higher premium, you can add the following optional extras to your policy to increase your Home and Contents Insurance cover:
- Flood cover - damage caused by flooding rivers, creeks and other bodies of water
- Personal effects outside of the home - for items you might ordinarily take with you outside your home (e.g. camera, jewellery); you can specify higher values for these items
- Accidental damage - standard cover includes accidental damage to glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures; this option extends your cover to your home and other contents
- Sum Insured Safeguard - we’ll increase your sum insured by 25% if your nominated sum insured is insufficient to repair or replace your home
- Motor burnout - for power surges that burn out motors in electrical appliances
Important Information: Please read the Home and Contents Insurance Product Disclosure Statements and Key Facts Sheets for full details of policy inclusions, limits and exclusions.
More Home Insurance Options
Protect your investment property with a home and contents insurance policy that adds cover for theft or malicious damage by tenants as well as making sure you aren’t left out of pocket if your tenants default on rental payments. If you have multiple investment properties that need to be covered you may be able to save even more by taking advantage of our multi-policy discounts.
If you’re renting then having insurance isn’t just about covering your own belongings in case something happens, it also means having cover in place for the house and fixtures belonging to your landlord as you’re normally responsible for any damages that occur to those as well. With Budget Direct’s tailored approach to insurance you can choose the options and cover that suits your needs and your budget.
Choose a payment schedule that suits you, with options to pay your insurance premium fortnightly, monthly or once a year, with multiple payment methods available, including Direct Debit, Credit Card and PayPal.
Flexible Premium Excess
Reduce your premiums by choosing a higher excess for your policy, or go for a lower excess by increasing your annual premium.
The choice is yours.
When you buy home insurance from Budget Direct you get a Budget Direct Buddy code you can give to your friends. And if they use it to buy a Budget Direct insurance policy, you both get a $50 VISA card.#
How to Make a Claim
If you do ever need to claim on your Budget Direct Home Insurance you can lodge your claim online using our Online Policy Manager at any time, day or night, or you can call our dedicated Home & Contents Insurance Claims Team to have someone help you through the claims process over the phone.
Click here for contact details and more information about making a home insurance claim.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much cover do I need?
We have compiled a list of Home & Contents Insurance Calculators which you can use to to estimate the costs involved in repairing or replacing your home or possessions in case something happens. These may help you to work out the sum insured value you’ll need to nominate for your insurance policy.
Is jewellery covered by contents insurance?
If the jewellery was at home when it was lost, stolen or damaged, then it’s covered for the replacement value.
If you’d like to also cover your jewellery when you’re away from home then you can add optional Personal Effects cover to your policy. Limits and exclusions may apply, so please read the PDS for full details of how Personal Effects cover works.
Buy Online and Save Up To ##%^
Get a quick quote and buy combined Home & Contents Insurance online to get a discount of ##%^ off your premium.
|| Up to 12 months temporary accommodation. Benefit capped at 10% of sum insured. Terms & conditions apply.
* If you cancel the policy within 21 days without making a claim, we’ll give you a full refund.
** Conditions apply. See the Product Disclosure Statement for full details.
° Based on Budget Direct customers surveyed since February 10th 2015, see www.budgetdirectreviews.com.au for details.
# Conditions Apply. Excludes household members.
^Online discount Terms & Conditions
°° Based on customers who have made a claim on Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance, surveyed between February 10th 2015 and May 31st 2017. See www.budgetdirectreviews.com.au for details.