Get a Simply Smarter Quote

Get a Quote

Domestic Travel Insurance

If you plan to travel within Australia, it may not occur to you to get travel insurance; but as with overseas trips, unforeseen and costly events can happen, leaving you out of pocket.

Our Domestic travel insurance policy gives you cover for your Australian trip, including cancellation fees, luggage and personal effects, and hire car insurance excess.

What’s covered

The following table is a summary of the policy’s benefits and sums insured:

Benefit Sum insured*
Cancellation and Amendment Fees
Cover for the cost of prepaid travel, accommodation, meals, tours and activities if your trip is cancelled due to an insured unforeseeable event.
Cutting Your Trip Short
Cover for the cost of prepaid travel, accommodation, meals, tours and activities if you are too unwell to complete your journey or a relative in Australia is hospitalised or dies.
Additional Expenses
Cover for the cost of additional accommodation, meals and travelling expenses if your trip is disrupted or you are required to return home sooner than planned.
Travel Delay Expenses
Cover for expenses incurred if your return home is delayed due to bad weather, a strike, industrial action or mechanical breakdown.
$50 per completed 12 hours, up to $1,000
Luggage and Personal Effects
Cover for the cost of repairing, replacing or reimbursing you for the cost of your belongings if they are lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.
Delayed Luggage Allowance
Cover for cost of buying essential items if your baggage is delayed by an airline or transport company for more than 24 hours.
Theft of Cash
Cover for the cost of replacing your lost or stolen cash.
Personal Accident
Payment for injuries that within 12 consecutive months results in your death, permanent paraplegia or quadriplegia, or loss of, or loss of use of, one or more of your limbs or eyes.
$5,000 or $15,000, depending on the event
Personal Liability
Payment if you become legally liable for accidentally injuring someone or damaging or losing someone else’s property.
Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess
Cover for any hire-car insurance excess you become liable to pay as a result of the car being damaged or stolen.
Alternative Transport Expenses
Cover for additional travel expenses to reach a planned event (e.g. a wedding or conference) you would otherwise miss as a result of your scheduled transport being cancelled, delayed, shortened or diverted.
*Maximum amount per insured person per trip; includes GST. An excess of $200 applies to some benefits – please see Part 3 of the PDS for more details.
† The following sub-limits apply:
  • Laptops, tablets, cameras, mobile phones: $2,000
  • Per item/pair or set of items: $500
  • Valuables: $500
  • Property (including specified items) lost or stolen from an unattended motor vehicle: $500.

Upgrade your cover

For a higher premium, you can customise your cover by adding one or both of these optional extras to your Domestic travel insurance policy:

Snow Sports Cover

If you intend to ski, snowboard or ice skate on your trip, you may wish to add this cover. It insures you for snow sports equipment, lift passes, ski packs, piste closures and avalanches. Read more

Excess reduction or waiver

Halve your excess from the standard $200 to $100; or get it waived and pay no excess.

Find out more

The information on this page is a summary only. For more details about Budget Direct travel insurance, including the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please read the product disclosure statement (PDS).

Get a quote

Whether you’re after cheap travel insurance or a policy with all the bells and whistles, we’ve got a wide range of cover for you to choose from.

Get a travel insurance quote online in 30 seconds or call us on 1800 444 424.

Get a Quote

How to make a claim

If your trip didn’t go entirely to plan and you have to make a claim, we’re here to help.

Make a claim on your Domestic travel insurance policy

Frequently asked questions

What is the age limit for Domestic travel insurance cover?

100 years at the date of application.

If I injure myself while travelling in Australia, will I be covered for medical expenses?

In contrast to our international travel insurance policies, our Domestic policy does not provide cover for emergency medical or hospital expenses incurred as a result of you falling ill or getting injured on your trip. That’s because you’re already covered in Australia by Medicare or your private health fund.

I’m going on a cruise within Australian territorial waters – can I get cover for on-board medical expenses and evacuation?

Yes – select ‘Australian Waters’ under ‘Pacific’ as your destination and choose one of the following four policies: Comprehensive, Essential, Last Minute or Annual Multi-Trip. All of these policies give you unlimited cover for on-board emergency medical and hospital expenses as well as evacuation off the ship.

Are claims for lost or stolen mobile phones covered?

Yes – on condition you give us your phone’s international mobile equipment identity (IMEI) number; and have asked your provider to block the IMEI number (rendering the phone useless).