What’s covered by Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance?
Overseas medical and hospital expenses
Unlimited amount for overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses (excluding pregnancy and childbirth).
Cancellation and amendment fees
Unlimited amount for cancellation fees and lost deposits on pre-paid travel, accommodation, meals, etc., if your trip is cancelled due to an insured event.
Extra travel, accommodation and meals expenses if your trip is disrupted or you have to return home early due to an insured event, up to $40,000.
Upgrade your cover
For an additional premium, you can add one or more of the following optional extras to your policy:
Halve your excess from the standard $200 to $100; or choose to have no excess.
How do I add these optional extras to my policy?
You can add one or more of these optional extras when you get a quote and buy a policy.
If you’ve already bought a policy, you can add Snow Sports Cover and/or Additional Specified Items Cover only. To do this, call us on 1800 444 424 or log into your online account and edit your policy — before you leave on your trip and within 14 days of the purchase date.
Overseas medical and emergency assistance
Budget Direct travel insurance gives you access to a worldwide, 24/7 network of 75,000+ medical and emergency assistance providers.
These include hospitals, medical centres, air ambulance providers, and air charter companies.
Get a quote
Whether you want cover for just the basics or a policy with lots of bells and whistles, we’ve got a wide selection of travel insurance for you to pick from.
Get a travel insurance quote online in 30 seconds or call us on 1800 444 424.
Frequently asked questions
Does travel insurance cover medical and hospital expenses?
All four of Budget Direct’s international travel insurance policies – Comprehensive, Essential, Last Minute, and Annual Multi-Trip – include an unlimited amount for overseas medical and hospital expenses, including:
- ambulance and emergency medical, surgical and hospital costs
- cost of your return to Australia earlier than planned if this is medically necessary and we authorise it
- if you cannot return to Australia as you originally planned and if it is medically necessary and we authorise it, we will pay for reasonable travel and accommodation expenses:
- to allow you to return to Australia, and
- for someone to stay with you and travel home with you, or
- for one relative or friend to travel from Australia to stay with you and travel home with you
- cost of returning your body or ashes to Australia (up to $20,000) or cost of a funeral and burial in the country in which you die (up to $10,000).
This cover excludes any claims arising from pre-existing medical conditions (other than the 27 we cover).
Note that, if you suffer an illness or injury that requires emergency transportation, hospitalisation or repatriation and/or is likely to cost more than A$500 to treat, you (or someone else on your behalf) must call us as soon as possible.
Our Domestic policy does not include cover for medical and hospital expenses, as these expenses are already claimable in Australia from Medicare and/or your private health fund.
How long can I get travel insurance for?
You can get a Budget Direct single-trip policy for up to 12 months if you’re aged 65 or under; or up to 90 days if you’re aged between 66 and 100.
An Annual Multi-Trip policy is effective for 12 months, however each trip must last 30 days or less (if you plan on taking a longer trip, you’ll need to purchase another, single-trip policy).
When should I buy travel insurance?
It’s up to you exactly when to buy travel insurance, however it must be purchased before your trip commences.
By getting Budget Direct travel insurance as soon as you’ve booked and paid for some or all of your trip, you can be covered for things like your pre-paid travel and accommodation if you’re forced to cancel your trip due to an insured event (e.g. an unforeseen illness or injury).
(This is unless you have a Last Minute policy, which does not include cancellation cover.)
If you’re a frequent traveller with an Annual Multi-Trip policy, you’re covered for an unlimited number of up-to-30-days trips you take within 12 months to your chosen destination/s.
Before each trip, you won’t need to let us know where you’re going – unless your destination is not one you selected originally, in which case you will need to contact us or log into your online account and edit your policy.
What does travel insurance cover?
Travel insurance can cover the financial costs of a wide range of unforeseen accidents or incidents on your trip.
Among the most important benefits provided by Budget Direct travel insurance are:
- Overseas medical and hospital expenses – an unlimited amount for the cost of unforeseen emergency medical and hospital treatment overseas (excluding pregnancy and childbirth). Read more
- Cancellation and amendment fees – the cost of pre-paid travel, accommodation, etc. in case you’re forced to call off or reschedule your trip due to an insured event (e.g. an unforeseen illness or injury). (Does not apply to Last Minute cover.) Read more
- Luggage and personal effects – the cost of repairing, replacing or reimbursing you for your belongings if they are lost, stolen or damaged (sub-limits apply).
- Additional expenses – extra travel, accommodation and meals expenses – over and above what you budgeted for – if your trip is disrupted or cut short due to an insured event.
For full details, including the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please read the product disclosure statement.
Travel Insurance Knowledge Base
Your questions about insurance all
answered in one place.