Christmas is a wonderful time of year to relax and spend time with your friends and family. However, between the gift giving and the food and beverages we all love to enjoy – it can become an expensive holiday. But it doesn’t need to be extravagant to make it a special occasion – add a personal touch to your Christmas decorating this year, with these 5 do-it-yourself Christmas food and craft ideas. Watch our video “Simply Smarter DIY Christmas Ideas” for a step-by-step guide on how to make glitter pinecones, get great gift wrapping ideas, create unique beach themed ornaments, make your own pearl ornament and turn simple brownies into creative Santa’s hats.
These glitter pinecones are easy and inexpensive to make. They can be great ornaments for the Christmas dinner table or can be added to decorate Christmas wreaths.
You will need: A brown paper bag for each colour of glitter you use, adhesive spray and pine cones.
- Pour a generous amount of glitter into a paper bag
- Thoroughly spray one of the pine cones with the adhesive spray
- Place the pine cone into the paper bag that contains the glitter
- Fold-over the top of the paper bag to ensure the glitter does not spill out
- Gently shake the paper bag to make sure the pine cone is evenly covered with glitter
- Open the bag and remove your glitter pine cone
- Repeat as many times as you like, remembering to use a new, clean paper bag for different glitter colours
Gift wrapping ideas
This is a fun and unique way to personalise the gifts you give this year.
You will need: Brown butchers paper, brightly coloured string, rubber stamps, a hot-glue gun and pine cones (optional – one per gift you wish to include them on).
- Wrap your gifts in the butchers paper
- Wind the brightly coloured string around the wrapped gift and tie off
- To attach the pine cone, use the hot-glue gun to glue some string to one end of the pine cone and tie the other end to the gift – as shown in the video
- Use the rubber stamps you have to spell-out the recipient’s name on the butchers paper
These DIY beach ornaments are bound to be a conversational point, they’re easy to make but are also very differential to what you would normally expect from a Christmas ornament.
You will need: Transparent DIY baubles, sand, beach shells, ribbon, and a hot-glue gun.
- Open the bauble in to two separate parts (it should already be in two parts with a seam around the circumference as in the video)
- Partly fill one half of the bauble with sand
- Place small shells as desired on top of the sand
- Re-seal the two parts of the bauble and tilt to the correct hanging position to shift the sand down, as shown in the video
- Use a hot-glue gun to glue the seam in the bauble and secure the sand inside. As you seal the bauble, gently place a ribbon over the seam – this is a nice added touch and will also hide any traces of glue left on the ornament.
- Make sure you start placing the ribbon onto the bauble from its top, hanging point – then as the ribbon meets use the extra length to create a loop to hang the ornament from your Christmas tree. This step is shown more clearly in the video than can be explained here.
With a simple string of fake pearls you can create your own beautiful pearl ornament – this DIY bauble makes a striking addition to any Christmas tree.
You will need: A string of pearls long enough to wrap around your desired bauble, a hot-glue gun, a blank craft bauble, and some ribbon to hang the finished ornament from your Christmas tree.
- Start with a blank, sturdy craft bauble
- Using a hot-glue gun, glue the string of pearls in a tightly woven loop around the bauble
- Use a small piece of ribbon to create a hanging loop for the finished ornament
Santa Hat Brownie
Christmas is a time for sweet treats – why not make yours a little bit more festive and Christmas theme them.
You will need: brownies cut into rounded pieces (as shown in the video), strawberries, and whipped cream.
- Spread or pipe a thin layer of whipped cream over the top of the brownie
- Cut the top off of the strawberry (where its leaves are) to create a flat surface
- Place the flat surface of the strawberry onto the brownie
- Add a small dot of cream on the top of the strawberry to make it look like a Santa hat
- Eat and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy these DIY Christmas ideas, and from all of us here at Budget Direct – Have a very Happy Christmas.
This post was brought to you by Budget Direct Home Insurance