Since 2000, Budget Direct has provided home and contents insurance to Queenslanders living south of the Tropic of Capricorn.
Whether you’re an owner–occupier, landlord or renter, living in Rockhampton, Brisbane or Birdsville, or anywhere between, we’ve got you covered§.
Switch and save
Compared to their previous insurers' premiums, our Queensland customers told us they saved an average of $###† by switching to Budget Direct Combined Home and Contents Insurance.
Here are their self-reported savings:
|Queenslanders who bought…||Told us they saved an average of…|
|Combined Home and Contents Insurance||$###|
Award-winning Queensland home insurance
After comparing the cost and features of 72 policies offered by 50 insurers, Canstar presented us with the National award for Outstanding Value Home & Contents Insurance for the seventh year in a row in 2023.
We’ve also won Money magazine’s Insurer of the Year title seven years running (2017–2023); and a Mozo Experts Choice award for Exceptional Value Home & Contents Insurance (2017–2023).
Choose your cover
You can get home or contents cover separately, or combine them.
Highly rated claims
Why does Budget Direct only cover homes south of the Tropic of Capricorn in Queensland?
Northern Australia is exposed to more intense weather-related perils, most notably cyclones, than southern Australia is.
To manage claims costs and keep premiums low for our customers, our policy is to only insure homes south of the tropics.
Frequently asked questions
What does home insurance cover?
‘Home insurance’ is an umbrella term that encompasses three variations of cover:
- Home and contents insurance covers your house and other structures on your property as well as your belongings for loss or damage due to events like fire, theft and storms.
- Home insurance covers your house and other structures on your property, including your garden shed, fences, and in-ground swimming pool.
- Contents insurance covers the belongings inside your home, including furniture, whitegoods, electrical appliances, clothing, and more.
Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply to Budget Direct home insurance; for full details, please read the product disclosure statement.
What events are covered by home insurance?
An ‘insured event’ is an event we cover should it cause loss or damage to your home and/or contents.
Budget Direct covers the following events:
- Storm and rainwater (flood cover is optional)
- Theft (or attempted theft)
- Escape of liquid (e.g. burst pipe)
- Impact at home (e.g. fallen tree)
- Breakage of glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures
- Malicious damage, vandalism, riot or civil commotion
- Earthquake or tsunami.
How much home insurance do I need?
It’s up to you to determine how much it would cost to replace your home and contents – the ‘sums insured’ – if they were totally destroyed, for example, by fire.
It’s the maximum amount we’ll pay, so it’s important you’re comfortable the amount you nominate is sufficient to replace your entire home and all of your contents at today’s prices.
For a more accurate rebuilding cost estimate, we recommend you consult a professional valuer or building contractor.
§ Subject to you meeting our underwriting criteria.
*Based on customers in Queensland who have made a claim on Budget Direct Home Insurance, and who were surveyed between 10 February 2015 and 31 August 2023. Visit www.budgetdirectreviews.com.au for more details.