Can I cancel my CTP green slip?

Yes – you can cancel your New South Wales compulsory third party (CTP) insurance by cancelling your vehicle’s registration; you can do this at any time.

Among the common reasons for registration cancellations are the vehicle has been:

  • written off by an insurer or self-insurer
  • taken by its owner to an auto wrecker
  • stolen.

How do I cancel my CTP green slip?

To cancel your New South Wales compulsory third party (CTP) insurance, you need to cancel your vehicle registration.

Find out how to cancel your NSW vehicle registration

If I cancel my CTP green slip, will I get a refund?

If you cancel your NSW vehicle registration, thereby cancelling your Budget Direct CTP insurance, you can ask the underwriter, QBE, for a refund of the unused portion of your green slip premium.

Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) will give you a letter or receipt confirming your rego has been cancelled.

Please forward the letter or receipt to QBE at:

Fax: (02) 9375 4799
Post: GPO Box 2516, Sydney NSW 2001

QBE will use the cancellation date to calculate your refund (minus an administration fee).

You’ll receive a cheque for the refunded amount within 30 days of QBE receiving the abovementioned letter.

I bought my CTP green slip before 1 December 2017 – can I get a refund?

Following reforms to the New South Wales compulsory third party (CTP) insurance scheme, green slip prices were reduced for most classes of vehicles from 1 December 2017.

If you bought your green slip before that date, you may have paid pre-reform prices and thus be eligible for a refund.

For more information, visit the State Insurance Regulatory Authority’s ‘Green Slip reforms refunds’ web page.

What happens to the CTP green slip when I sell my vehicle?

The CTP green slip is attached to your NSW vehicle registration, so it will be transferred to the new owner of the vehicle.

Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) will notify the relevant green slip insurer of the transfer of ownership. 

What happens to the CTP green slip when I buy a used vehicle in NSW?

If you buy a second-hand vehicle that…

You will have to…

Has a current registration

Do nothing: The vehicle’s rego (and CTP insurance) will be transferred into your name; you won’t have to buy another green slip until the rego is due for renewal.

Has been unregistered for less than three months

Buy a CTP green slip and renew the vehicle’s registration.

Has had its registration cancelled

Buy a green slip and apply for registration.

How do I transfer my registration to NSW from another state / territory?

If you’ve moved to New South Wales from another state or territory, you must apply for NSW registration for your vehicle. You can follow these steps:

  1. Download and complete Roads and Maritime Service’s ‘Application for Registration’ form
  2. Get a vehicle safety check at an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station. Find an inspection station
  3. If your vehicle is modified or non-standard, obtain a Compliance Certificate from a licensed certifier. Find a certifier
  4. Buy compulsory third party insurance (a green slip): Get a CTP quote from Budget Direct
  5. Visit a registry/ service centre (or send a representative) to submit your application in person. Find a Service NSW location

Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) will let their counterparts in your former home state or territory know that your vehicle now has a NSW registration.

Get a car insurance quote online