The following table shows the maximum amounts we’ll pay for luggage and personal effects claims per insured person.
For example, if a family of five has Comprehensive cover and all five of them have their luggage stolen, upon acceptance of their claim we’ll pay them up to $7,500 each (minus their excesses of $200 each).
If you choose Comprehensive or Annual Multi-Trip cover and want to insure an item (e.g. a laptop or digital SLR camera) that costs more than the standard claim limit of $750 per item or set, you can upgrade your cover.
Luggage and personal effects cover: Claim limits
|Comprehensive||Essential||Last Minute||Domestic||Annual Multi-Trip|
|Total||Up to $7,500||Up to $5,000||Up to $2,500||Up to $5,000||Up to $7,500|
|Per item/pair or set of items||Up to $750||Up to $500||Up to $500||Up to $500||Up to $750|
|Valuables — laptops, tablets, cameras, video cameras, and mobile phones only||Up to a combined total of $3,000||Up to a combined total of $2,000||No cover||Up to a combined total of $2,000||Up to a combined total of $3,000|
|Valuables — other||Up to a combined total of $750||Up to a combined total of $500||No cover||Up to a combined total of $500||Up to a combined total of $750|
|Property (including specified items) lost or stolen from an unattended motor vehicle||Up to a combined total of $500||Up to a combined total of $500||Up to a combined total of $500||Up to a combined total of $500||Up to a combined total of $500|
|Read more||Read more||Read more||Read more||Read more|
Upgrade your cover
With our Comprehensive or Annual Multi-Trip policies, you can, for an additional premium, choose to insure an item (or pair or set of items) for more than the standard claim limit of $750 — by adding ‘Additional Specified Items Cover’ to the policy.
This optional cover allows you to specify the item/s on your policy, with an individual description and value, up to a maximum of $4,000 per item and a combined total of $6,000.
How do I add this optional extra to my policy?
You can add Additional Specified Items Cover when you get a quote and buy a policy.
If you’ve already purchased a policy, you can add this cover by calling us on 1800 444 424 or logging into your online account and editing your policy before you depart on your trip.
Note that, if you have an Annual Multi-Trip policy, you must specify your item/s for each individual trip that you require the additional cover.
Find out more
The information on this page is a summary only. For more details about Budget Direct travel insurance, including the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please read the Product Disclosure Statement.
How to make a claim
If you need to make a claim, we’re here to help. You’ll need to give us a receipt proving your ownership and the value of the gadget in question and, if applicable, a written report from the relevant authority (e.g. police, airline, embassy). Make a claim on your travel insurance policy.
How will my claim be settled?
If your damaged gadget can be repaired quickly, easily and economically (e.g. a cracked mobile phone screen), we can reimburse you for the cost to repair it.
If it’s uneconomic to repair or damaged beyond repair, we can compensate you for the cost to replace it.
This replacement cost will be based on the value of the device at the time it was lost, stolen or damaged (i.e. an allowance will be made for wear, tear and loss of value, based on the gadget’s age).
(If it’s insured under Additional Specified Items Cover and your claim is accepted, we’ll pay you either the cost of the item or the amount stated on your insurance certificate — whichever is lower.)
When lodging a claim for a lost or stolen mobile phone you must:
- give us your phone’s international mobile equipment identity (IMEI) number
- ask your provider to block the IMEI number (rendering the phone useless).
Tips for safeguarding your gadgets
By following these tips, you’ll reduce the risk of loss or damage to your gadgets and improve the chances of any claim being accepted:
- get protective cases, screens and covers for your gadgets, to prevent them breaking if your drop them; and waterproof them by packing them in dry bags
- record your mobile phone’s 15-digit international mobile equipment identity (IMEI) number (which you’ll need to give us if it’s lost or stolen and you make a claim)
- back up the data on your devices before and during your trip
- when you’re on the move, keep your gadgets on your person or in your hand luggage
- before getting off planes, trains, buses and taxis, check the seat pockets, overhead lockers and footwells to ensure you don’t leave anything behind
- when you’re not carrying them, keep your gadgets in your hotel or resort’s safe or security box
- report any thefts within 24 hours to the police and, if applicable, to the airline, hotel or tour operator you were with when the theft occurred. Ask for a copy of the incident report (to support any claim you make).
Did you know?
Budget Direct Home and Contents Insurance policyholders who add optional ‘Personal Effects Cover’ to their policy are covered for accidental loss or damage to their belongings anywhere in the world — for up to 30 days of their departure from Australia.