What would you like to do?

Log in
Message us
Call us
Make a complaint
Chat currently unavailable

Send us a message

We’re here to help through your preferred platform

Car Insurance
Car Insurance
Travel Insurance
Travel Insurance
Home Insurance
Home Insurance
Roadside Assistance
Roadside Assistance
Motorcycle Insurance
Motorcycle Insurance
Pet Insurance
Pet Insurance
Life Insurance
Life Insurance

Car Insurance

Get a quote: 1800 700 027

Existing customer enquiries: 1300 306 560 (+61 7 3465 1755 if you’re overseas)

Mon-Fri: 8am-10:30pm AEST

Sat: 8am-5pm AEST

Lodge a claim 24/7: 1300 139 591 (+61 7 3503 1744 if you’re overseas)

Home Insurance

Get a quote: 1800 700 027

Existing customer enquiries: 1800 182 310 (+61 7 3707 3512 if you’re overseas)

Mon-Fri: 8am-10:30pm AEST

Sat: 8am-5pm AEST

Lodge a claim 24/7: 1800 069 336 (+61 7 3811 3488 if you’re overseas)

Motorcycle Insurance

Get a quote: 1300 306 560

Existing customer enquiries: 1300 306 560

Mon-Fri: 8am-6pm AEST

Sat: 8am-5pm AEST

Lodge a claim 1300 306 560

Travel Insurance

Sales: 1300 792 001

Existing customer enquiries: 1300 792 001

Claims: 1300 792 001 (within Australia) +61 2 8907 5079 (from overseas)

Complaints: 1300 792 001 or email [email protected]

Our Operating hours are:

Mon to Fri - 8am to 7pm AEST

Saturdays - 9am to 6pm AEST

Sundays - 10am to 3pm AEST

For policies bought before 2021

Lodge a claim:

Call: 1800 444 424 (within Australia) +61 7 3465 1718 (from overseas)

Email: [email protected]

Our Operating hours are:

Mon to Fri - 9am to 5pm AEST

Roadside Assistance

General Enquiries: 1300 306 560

Mon-Fri: 8am-10:30pm and Sat: 8am-5pm AEST

Request assistance 24/7: 1800 514 448

Pet Insurance

All enquiries: 1800 931 664

Mon-Fri: 8am-5pm AEST

Life Insurance

Customers who bought before July 2018:
Lodge a claim: 1800 700 349
Existing customer enquiries: 1800 300 592

Customers who bought after January 2022:
Lodge a claim: 1300 220 627
Customer enquiries: 1300 220 627
Purchase stand-alone Trauma or Income Protection policies: 1300 220 627
Get a Quote: 1300 220 627
Mon-Fri: 8am-6pm AEST

Make a complaint

If you’re unhappy with any aspect of our relationship with you, you can complain.

Regardless of the nature of your complaint, we’ll try to resolve it efficiently, transparently and fairly.

Frequently asked questions

Roadside Assistance
Can I transfer my no-claim bonus from my current insurer to Budget Direct?

Yes – provided you supply us with proof of your current no-claim bonus (or no-claim discount, as we refer to it).

For example, you may have a renewal notice from your current insurer that shows your discount.

Please scan and email your renewal notice or other proof to [email protected]

We’ll factor in the discount when we calculate your premium.

Which drivers must be listed on my policy?

You must list any household members (including learner, provisional and occasional drivers) who may drive the car. Unlisted household members won’t be covered.

Any non-household members who drive the car are automatically covered provided they meet the age restriction on your policy (if applicable). If you list them on your policy, you’ll avoid having to pay the unlisted driver excess (other excesses may apply).

I’ve had a car accident – what should I do?

If you’ve had an accident, and assuming you’re physically able to, you should:

  1. Make sure you and anyone else involved is safely off the road.
  2. Call 000 if there are injuries or hazards.
  3. Get the details of the other drivers – name, address, contact number, driver’s licence number, and registration number – and give them yours (it’s a legal requirement; if anyone refuses, call the police).
  4. Try to get the names, addresses, and contact numbers of any witnesses.
  5. If possible, take photographs at the accident scene.
  6. If your vehicle is undriveable, call us on 1300 139 591 to organise a tow or, if you prefer, book your own.
  7. Make a claim
How do I book a time to have my vehicle’s damage assessed?

You can book a damage assessment when you lodge your claim, either via your online account or by calling us on 1300 139 591.

If you’re not sure what your schedule looks like at that point, you can book the assessment later.

I’m selling my car – what do I need to do?

If you’re selling your car and buying another one, you can quickly and easily transfer your Budget Direct car insurance to your replacement car.

Simply call us on 1300 306 560 and tell us the year, make and model of the replacement car.

We’ll then guide you through the process of shifting your insurance from your previous car to your new one.

If you don’t intend to replace your car, we can help you cancel your existing insurance policy.

Is my home covered for floods?

You can cover your home for floods by taking out optional Flood Cover, which insures your home building and contents for loss or damage caused by flooding rivers, creeks, lakes, dams and other bodies of water.

Subject to underwriting, you can add Flood Cover to your home building and/or home contents insurance when you get a quote and buy a policy or – if you’ve already bought one – by calling us on your online account or calling us on 1800 182 310 or logging into your online account and editing your policy.

Do I need to list, or specify, contents on my policy?

It’s up to you to decide whether to list the following on your policy:

  • contents you want to insure for more than our benefit limit (where applicable)
  • portable items you want covered when you take them with you away from your home.

You can list your contents when you get a quote and buy a policy or – if you’re an existing customer – by logging into your online account or call us on 1800 182 310.

Am I required to provide proof of loss or damage?

Allowing us to assess the damage or loss is usually all that’s required to prove it.

If an item has been lost or stolen and can’t be assessed, we may ask you to provide evidence of ownership and value.

This evidence could include:

  • purchase receipts
  • valuations
  • credit card statements
  • serial numbers
  • owner’s manuals
  • guarantee or warranty certificates
  • photos or videos of your item
  • product packaging.

If evidence is required to support your claim, please email it to [email protected]

I’m selling my house – what do I need to do?

If you’re selling your house and buying another one, you can:

  • keep your current home (and contents) insured until settlement day – which generally occurs 30­–90 days after you and the buyer sign the contract of sale 
  • insure your new house when you and the seller sign the contract of sale but before settlement.

To insure your new house:

  1. Log into your online account.
  2. Click on the ‘Start a new insurance quote’ button.
  3. Follow the prompts.

When the sale of your current home reaches settlement and you want to cancel the insurance on it, please call us on 1800 182 310.

Do you offer strata title insurance?

We don’t insure strata title buildings, however we do cover their contents.

When should I buy travel insurance?

It’s up to you exactly when to buy travel insurance, however it should be purchased before your trip commences.

If you have left home and are already on your trip when buying the policy, this cover is subject to a 3 day no-cover period. This means the Period of Insurance will not commence until 3 days after the travel start date/policy issue date shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

By getting Budget Direct travel insurance as soon as you’ve booked and paid for some or all of your trip, you can be covered for things like your non-refundable, non-recoverable prepaid travel tickets, hotels, tours or other travel related expenses if you’re forced to cancel your trip due to an insured event, e.g. an unforeseen illness or injury.

Note: Basic plan cover does not include Amendment or Cancellation Costs benefit.

If you’re a frequent traveller, you could purchase an Annual Multi-Trip policy under our Comprehensive, Essential and Domestic Travel Insurance plans. With an Annual Multi-Trip policy, you can choose a maximum trip duration and be covered for an unlimited number of trips within 12 months to your chosen destination/s, up to the chosen maximum trip duration for each trip.

When you purchase the Annual Multi-Trip policy you can nominate your known destination/s.

Before each trip:

  • You won’t need to specify where you’re going – unless your destination is different to those you originally selected. 
  • Please consider if you have an existing medical condition or pregnancy and refer to the Combined FSG/PDS for more information.

You will need to contact us so we can help you make any required changes to your policy. Additional premium may apply.

What does travel insurance cover?

Travel insurance can cover the financial costs of a wide range of unforeseen accidents or incidents on your trip.

Among the most important benefits provided by Budget Direct travel insurance are:

  • Overseas medical expenses – $unlimited cover amount (for up to 12 months from onset of the illness, condition or injury) for the cost of unforeseen emergency medical and hospital treatment overseas if you become sick, ill or injured. “$Unlimited” means no dollar capped sum insured.
  • Amendment or cancellation costs (up to the policy limit or cover chosen, whichever is the higher) – the cost of prepaid travel tickets, hotels, tours or other travel related expenses which are non-refundable in case you’re forced to call off or reschedule your trip due to an insured event (e.g. an unforeseen illness or injury). (Does not apply to the Basic plan.)
  • Luggage and personal effects – the cost of repairing, replacing or reimbursing you for your belongings if they are lost, stolen or damaged. Limits and item limits apply. Depreciation may apply.
  • Additional expenses – additional transport and accommodation expenses – over and above what you budgeted for – if your trip is disrupted or cut short due to an insured event.

For full details, including the terms, conditions, limits, sub-limits and exclusions that apply, please read the Combined FSG & PDS.

How much does travel insurance cost?

The cost of travel insurance depends on a number of factors, including your:

  • Area of travel – higher risk areas cost more.
  • Departure date and trip duration – the longer the period until you depart and the longer your trip duration, the higher the cost may be.
  • Age – higher risk age groups cost more.
  • Plan – International Comprehensive, which provides more cover, costs more than International Essential or Basic or Domestic.
  • Excess – the higher the excess the lower the cost may be.
  • Cruise cover – additional premium applies.
  • Cancellation cover – on some policies you can choose your own level of cancellation cover. The more cancellation cover you require, the higher the cost may be.
  • Adding cover for existing medical conditions and pregnancy (where available) – additional premium may apply if a medical assessment is completed and cover is accepted by us.
  • Options to vary cover (where available) – additional premium applies.

Find out more and see how much it would cost to insure your next trip.

Which sports and activities does travel insurance cover?

All Budget Direct Travel Insurance includes cover for a range of sports and activities.

Some adventure activities and snow sports may not be automatically included in the cover. Cover is available to buy for certain adventure activities, snow sports and motorcycle/moped riding. Please read the Combined FSG/PDS to learn more about which activities you'll be covered for.

How do I make a complaint?

Please call 1300 792 001 or email [email protected]

Which types of motorcycles does Budget Direct insure?

We insure a wide range of on-road and off-road motorcycles against accidental loss or damage, namely:

  • road bikes
  • scooters
  • cruisers
  • enduro motorbikes
  • sports bikes
  • dual-sport motorcycles.
Do you insure motorcycles used for business?

No — Budget Direct does not insure motorcycles used for business of any kind, this includes:

  • carrying passengers for payment

  • carrying or delivering other people’s goods for payment, as a contractor or otherwise (e.g. parcel or food delivery)

  • riding tuition for payment

  • hiring the motorcycle to other people, including under peer to peer motorcycle sharing arrangements.

We only cover motorcycles used privately, and this includes commuting to and from your home and regular place of work.

Does motorcycle insurance cover modifications?

Budget Direct covers all aftermarket modifications to your comprehensively insured motorcycle, except:

  • custom paintwork (excluding decals/stickers)
  • ECU (electronic control unit) remap or upgrade
  • frame or subframes
  • nitrous oxide kit

  • turbo or supercharged.

You need to tell us about any modifications, accessories and options when you purchase your policy, or afterwards if you make any changes to your motorcycle so they are covered.

Which riders must be listed on my policy?

You must list any household members (including learners, provisional and occasional riders) who may ride the motorcycle. Unlisted household members will not be covered. 

While any non-household members who are not excluded from riding (e.g. due to age restrictions) are automatically covered.

If you list them on your policy, you’ll avoid having to pay the unlisted rider excess (other excesses may apply).

If I make an insurance claim, what will my excess be?

Unless you or another rider of your motorcycle have a no-fault accident, you’ll be required to pay:

  • your Basic Excess; 

 As well as any additional excesses that apply, namely:

  • rider is under 21 years of age

  • rider is 21 to 24 years of age inclusive

  • rider has not held a full or open Australian motorcycle licence for 2 or more years

  • rider is not listed on your insurance certificate.

The dollar amount of your Basic Excess and any additional excesses are shown on your insurance certificate.

How does pet insurance work?
Are there age limits for pets you insure?
If I make a claim, will I have to pay an excess?
How can I pay for my pet insurance?
Can I take my pet to any vet?
What does roadside assistance cover?

Budget Direct Roadside Assistance covers you if you’re left stranded – within our service area – for one or more of the following reasons:

  • flat batteries
  • minor mechanical or electrical fault
  • flat tyre
  • keys locked in vehicle or lost
  • empty fuel tank requiring emergency fuel.

If we can’t get you moving again quickly with an easy fix over the phone, we’ll dispatch either a roadside contractor or a tow truck to assist you (within our service limits).

Do I have to have car insurance to buy roadside assistance?

No – you can purchase a Budget Direct Roadside Assistance membership regardless of whether you have a car insurance policy with us (or anyone else).

Does roadside assistance cover the car or the driver?

Budget Direct Roadside Assistance covers the vehicle – we’ll provide assistance for your nominated vehicle, regardless of who’s driving it at the time it breaks down.

When can I start using my roadside assistance?

You can start using your Budget Direct Roadside Assistance for breakdowns that occur 48 hours or more after purchasing your membership.

If you require assistance before then – or help at any time with a pre-existing condition – a non-refundable service charge of $110 will apply, in addition to your annual membership fee.

How quickly can I expect roadside assistance?

It will depend on a number of factors, including your location and road conditions.

If possible, we’ll SMS you a link to a map showing the real-time location of your Budget Direct roadside contractor as they approach the breakdown area; and their estimated time of arrival (ETA).

This tracking service is available in selected areas only: If it’s not available in your area the contractor (or tow-truck operator) will instead call to let you know they’re on their way and, if necessary, update you on their ETA.

Our goal is to get you back on the road as soon as possible.