Can I choose my CTP insurance provider?

Your ability to choose your compulsory third party (CTP) insurance provider depends on where in Australia your vehicle is registered.

In some states and territories, there is only one approved provider of CTP insurance, while other jurisdictions allow you to choose from several different providers (see table below).

State/territory Can I choose my CTP provider?
Australian Capital Territory Yes
New South Wales Yes
Northern Territory No
Queensland Yes
South Australia No§
Tasmania No
Victoria No
Western Australia No

§ At the time of registration, vehicles are allocated to one of four approved insurers; under certain circumstances, you can apply to change your approved insurer.

Budget Direct offers CTP, or green slip, insurance to New South Wales residents only; for more information, visit our ‘NSW CTP Green Slip Insurance’ web page.

How do I register my vehicle in New South Wales?

If you need to renew your vehicle's NSW registration

There are three basic steps to renewing your NSW vehicle registration:

  1. Buy compulsory third party insurance (a green slip): Get a CTP quote from Budget Direct
  2. Get a vehicle safety check (if you see ‘inspection required’ on your registration renewal notice). Find an Authorised Inspection Station
  3. Renew your registration:
    • Renew online
    • Call 1300 360 782 (interactive voice response system)
    • Call 13 77 88 (customer service officer).

For more information, visit Roads and Maritime Services’ ‘Renew your registration’ web page.

If you buy a brand-new vehicle in NSW

If you’ve interacted with Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) before (e.g. you hold a current driver’s licence), the dealer you bought the vehicle from will generally be able to register it for you.

For more information, visit RMS’s ‘Get a NSW registration’ web page.

If you buy a used vehicle in NSW – registered

If you buy a second-hand vehicle that has a current NSW registration, you’ll need to transfer it into your name.

For more information, visit Roads and Maritime Service’s ‘Get a NSW registration’ web page.

If you buy a used vehicle in NSW – not registered

If you buy a second-hand vehicle that is not currently registered in NSW, you’ll need to follow these steps:

  1. Download and complete Roads and Maritime Service’s ‘Application for Registration’ form
  2. Get a vehicle safety check at an Authorised Inspection Station (AIS) or – if the vehicle’s been unregistered for more than three months – an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS). Find an inspection station
  3. If your vehicle is modified or non-standard, obtain a Compliance Certificate from a licensed certifier. Find a certifier
  4. Buy compulsory third party insurance (a green slip): Get a CTP quote from Budget Direct
  5. Visit a registry/ service centre (or send a representative) to submit your application in person. Find a Service NSW location

For more information, visit Roads and Maritime Service’s ‘Get a NSW registration’ web page.

How do I buy a CTP green slip?

Buying New South Wales compulsory third party (CTP) insurance from Budget Direct is quick and easy:

  1. Decide whether you want a 6- or 12-month green slip (it must match the period of your vehicle’s registration).
  2. Get a quote – we’ll ask you some questions about you and your vehicle.
  3. If you’re happy with the quote, buy a policy – your green-slip details will be sent to Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) electronically.

When must I buy my CTP green slip?

You must purchase your New South Wales compulsory third party (CTP) insurance before getting or renewing your vehicle’s registration.

If you’re renewing your rego, you must buy a CTP green slip (and, if necessary, get a vehicle safety check) before your rego’s expiry date.

Note that even if you’ve bought a green slip, it won’t take effect until you get or renew your vehicle registration.

Find out when your vehicle’s registration is due to expire

My NSW vehicle registration has expired – what now?

If your New South Wales light-vehicle registration has expired, you’ve got only limited time to buy CTP insurance and renew your rego (in the meantime, you must not drive your vehicle).

You must renew a six-month rego within 21 days after the expiry date and a 12-month rego within three months after the expiry date.

If you miss the 21-day deadline, you won’t be able to register for six months; instead, you’ll have to renew your rego for 12 months (and buy a 12-month green slip).

If you don’t renew your vehicle registration within three months of its expiry date, your rego will be cancelled (and will have to be re-established).

How do I pay for CTP insurance?

Depending on which state or territory you live in, your compulsory third party (CTP) insurance premium is paid either as part of your vehicle registration fee or separately.

Budget Direct provides CTP insurance only to New South Wales motorists, who pay for their CTP greenslip separately, before getting or renewing their vehicle’s registration.

You can pay for your Budget Direct green slip by Visa or Mastercard.

Does Budget Direct provide CTP insurance?

Yes, but only to owners/drivers of vehicles registered in New South Wales.

Find our more about Budget Direct NSW green slip insurance

When buying a CTP green slip, what do I need to tell the insurer?

When you get a Budget Direct compulsory third party (CTP) insurance quote, we’ll ask you to tell us a little bit about you, your car, and any drivers under the age of 23.

For example, we’ll ask you for your billing and vehicle-plate numbers (if you’re renewing your rego) or the vehicle identification number (VIN) (if you’re registering the vehicle for the first time, you’ve moved from interstate, or you’re re-registering with a blue slip).

We’ll also request details of your driving and claims history, including any demerit points and at-fault claims.

The information about your car will be verified by Roads and Maritime Services and we’ll use the information about you and your car to calculate your CTP premium.

It’s therefore important the information you give us is truthful and complete.

Do all vehicles require a CTP green slip?

No – while all vehicles driven or towed on New South Wales roads must be registered, vehicles like trailers, caravans and trail bikes do not require compulsory third party (CTP) insurance.

Which drivers have to be listed on my green slip?

When you buy a CTP green slip from Budget Direct, we’ll ask you to tell us about the vehicle owner/regular driver and any drivers under the age of 23.

This is regardless of whether the latter are learner or provisional drivers and how often they drive the vehicle – even if it’s just once in a year.

Are all CTP green slips the same?

Although CTP insurance in New South Wales is sold by several different insurers, all green slips provide the same level of cover required by law.

The only significant differences between the insurers’ policies are price, ease of purchase, and optional at-fault driver cover (offered by only a few insurers).

Do CTP greenslip prices vary between insurers?

Yes – although greenslips provide the same level of cover required by law, premiums can vary.

That’s because the relevant insurers assess and price risk-rating factors (e.g. where the vehicle is garaged, the driver’s age, the car’s performance) differently.

If you’re shopping around for the best price on New South Wales CTP insurance, why not get a quote from Budget Direct and see if you could save?

How long do green slips last?

You can buy CTP green slip cover for a light vehicle (GVM of 4.5 tonnes or less) in New South Wales for 6 or 12 months.

The timeframe you choose must match the period of your vehicle’s registration.

Note that only the 12-month green slip option is available if you are:

  • registering a vehicle for the first time
  • transferring a vehicle’s registration into your name after buying or inheriting it
  • registering your vehicle after moving to NSW from another state or territory
  • registering your vehicle more than 21 days after its six-month rego expired
  • registering your vehicle more than three months after its 12-month rego expired
  • re-registering a vehicle after its rego was cancelled.

How are CTP greenslip premiums calculated?

The State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) issues annual guidelines that all insurers in New South Wales must follow when calculating their CTP insurance prices.

For example, the guidelines set out how base premiums must be calculated for each vehicle class and region of NSW.

To incentivise insurers and promote competition, SIRA allows insurers to rate the risk of individual drivers and vehicles and price that risk as they see fit (within reasonable limits, to keep premiums affordable).

CTP premiums are largely based on the following:

  • type of vehicle
  • region in which the vehicle is garaged
  • insurer’s costs
  • driver profile
  • fund levy
  • GST.

If you’re shopping around for the best price on CTP insurance, why not get quote from Budget Direct and see if you could save?

The cost of my green slip includes a ‘fund levy’ – what’s that?

Your CTP premium includes a Fund Levy (previously known as the Medical Care and Injury Services, or MCIS, Levy).

Among other things, the levy covers ambulance and initial hospital fees, as well as lifetime care for the severely injured, regardless of whether the accident was their fault.

The levy – a flat fee based on the type of vehicle you own and its garaging location – is shown separately on your green slip invoice.

How quickly after getting my green slip will I be able to register my car?

Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) will be notified electronically when you purchase your CTP green slip.

Please allow one hour for the notification to go through.

Vehicles older than five years are also required to pass a safety check before being registered (your rego renewal papers will tell you whether an inspection is required).

If your vehicle passes the safety check, your mechanic will electronically send the report to RMS.

Once RMS has received confirmation you’ve bought a green slip and passed the safety check, you’ll be able to renew your registration online or by calling 13 77 88.

Who are Roads and Maritime Services (RMS)?

Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) is a New South Wales Government agency that facilitates safe and efficient road and maritime transport in the state.

It builds and maintains road and maritime infrastructure and regulates and manages road and maritime traffic.

RMS also educates and licences drivers and vessel operators; and registers and inspects vehicles and vessels.

Furthermore, the agency strives to improve road and maritime safety.

Read more about Roads and Maritime Services (RMS)

Am I eligible for any New South Wales CTP greenslip discounts?

If you’re aged 30 or older and have nil demerit points on your driver’s licence, we’ll give you a Good Driver Discount.

Note that this discount is subject to the age of any other drivers, the type of vehicle you own, and the vehicle’s age.

Get a quote for Budget Direct NSW greenslip insurance

Get a car insurance quote online